I'm getting my first real amp in the next couple days, and I was wondering if anybody could give me a good idea of what I want. My favorite bands are early Metallica, Megadeth, Trivium, etc. and also classic rock like like Ted Nugent and Led Zeppelin. Would you be able to tell me what I need based on what I listen to?
What's the max. amount you're willing to spend?

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

peavey valveking ITS SO VERSATILE.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If your vegetarian girl harasses you about eating meat, snap back with, "Eating more entirely defenseless plants that provide us with oxygen?"

That'll shut that bitch up faster than two black eyes.

Quote by jammin24
peavey valveking ITS SO VERSATILE.

Okay...

TS;

High budget amplifier: Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier

Mid budget amplifier: Bugera 333XL

Low budget amplifier: Peavey Vyper 30w

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Best bet is to ask in the Guitar Gear Forum.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Look at your Roland Cube models. I have a Micro Cube that sounds awesome and better than most 1X12 combos... even equal to some 2x12's. I have a Crate 2X12 and I'd rather play my Micro Cube. Brand new I think they're about $125, but depending on your area, search Craigslist/pawn/local guitar shops and you might find one used. They also have a Cube 30 and Cube 60 as well... I think those are the right models. If you can afford one of those I'd seriously consider it. The distortion is great and the effects are ace. Beautiful clean tone as well. I really couldn't recommend it enough.
The speaker on my Micro Cube gave up the ghost after a few months, so be careful with them.
Quote by Dyer's Eve
Best bet is to ask in the Guitar Gear Forum.

I'd rather cut off my ding-dong than ask those combo loving pansies.

"Oh hey, I'm looking for a gig-worthy amp, I play mostly metal..."

"GET A BLUES JUNIOR"
^ so true.

To TS, I would save up for a little while If you really want something good. $300 and metal amps don't really go well together, if you know what I mean.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
to Vermintide: i know exactly what you mean, everything they answer is some single channel tube amp and through an overdrive in front of it which will do **** all.
Quote by Vermintide
I'd rather cut off my ding-dong than ask those combo loving pansies.

"Oh hey, I'm looking for a gig-worthy amp, I play mostly metal..."

"GET A BLUES JUNIOR"

You're a real stickler for half stacks, aren't you?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by guitgrinder
Look at your Roland Cube models. I have a Micro Cube that sounds awesome and better than most 1X12 combos... even equal to some 2x12's. I have a Crate 2X12 and I'd rather play my Micro Cube. Brand new I think they're about $125, but depending on your area, search Craigslist/pawn/local guitar shops and you might find one used. They also have a Cube 30 and Cube 60 as well... I think those are the right models. If you can afford one of those I'd seriously consider it. The distortion is great and the effects are ace. Beautiful clean tone as well. I really couldn't recommend it enough.

agreed. from the cube 30 i tried, i'd say it's the best cheap amp i've heard. for metal, at least. the classic rock sound was very lacking...
I've got a Cube 60 and I have to say, the blues sounds it can do hardly sound solid state. It's metal sounds are pretty good too, don't get me wrong, but you can tell it's solid state.
Solid State sounds better than tubes (for metal.)

I think.

edit: oops! I kinda forgot that he needed a "rock" amp too. But I still think the Cube 30 is the best option.
Last edited by guitgrinder at Jan 31, 2009,