I'm looking for a new guitar about £600-£650 max.
I have a Zakk Wylde Epi at the moment which im really happy with but I need another guitar to gig with aswel as my ZW. I'd quite like an SG special but all the half decent ones are either discontinued or overpriced. I play everything but mainly grunge and heavy rock but I'd like something with a half decent clean.

Any suggestions?

Oh and I don't want anything with a Floyd Rose.

Thanks in advance
Originally Posted by Demon Wolf
one dream of mine is to play baroque and roll.

i dont quite know what it is, but i assume it involves plenty of harpsichord solos and medieval chanting.

Epiphone Explorer, it is much better than the Gibson. The Gibson is good, but the ceramics give it a ****ty clean tone.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by tastes_of_ink
I suggest only posting once

Lol. I got impatient and pressed the button too many times

EDIT: I looked at the explorer too but I couldnt imagain it having a decent clean.

i dont quite know what it is, but i assume it involves plenty of harpsichord solos and medieval chanting.

The Epiphone sounds great through a good amp. I played it through a Super Champ at the store and it sounded good clean and overdriven.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Cool. I'll try one out next time I'm at a music shop. I have a Vox AD30VT which is awesome so the amp shouldnt be a problem

Schecter of some kind? Maybe the C-1 Classic?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

search ebay for a gibson sg special and youll find a decent one, that you could get with your budget
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Quote by Jaekae
search ebay for a gibson sg special and youll find a decent one, that you could get with your budget

Low end Gibsons tend to be hit or miss.
Quote by chip46
I really liked the SG diablo in silver aswel. But thats like, nearly 2 grand and I'd rather not spend that much.

What sort of bands are you wanting to play?

£650 is eating into Ibanez RG Prestige stuff, ie.. ****ing nice.
Quote by Jaekae

Nothing on eBay under about £900 in UK.
New Specials from £500 from Thomann
ESP LTD VIPER 400?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Elitist Epiphone.

Edwards.

Tokai.

Orville.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I second the idea for the Schecter C-1 Classic, but I dunno any place that has them that ships to the U.K. I also dunno how spendy they would be so if that is too much then try a C-1 Plus.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
you can get gibson faded SG specials for £600... i wouldn't want to buy one without trying it first, but if you can try a bunch, you might find a nice one (as the quality control is a bit, er, non-existent).

otherwise

Quote by willieturnip
Elitist Epiphone.

Edwards.

Tokai.

Orville.

+1, you should be able to get a quality japanese-made SG copy for that amount of money. just be careful, as tokai has some non-japanese-made ones for a lot less money, which aren't as good, basically. you also want to be careful that someone with a non-MIJ one isn't pretending it's Japanese and selling it for a higher price, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You can get a gibson sg special for £499.00 at guitar village in Farnham offer them cash and get £50.00 off i did !!
yes all six strings buzz !! but it`s unique isn`t it
Quote by Lurcher
Nothing on eBay under about £900 in UK.
New Specials from £500 from Thomann
ESP LTD VIPER 400?

im looking at one at 300 atm..
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard