my band practices for hours every week, usually on a few days and we hang out a lot too but we've just found that we really don't like a lot of the songs we've written! i dunno what it is but we cant seem to write new songs that we like, and that other people would like either!

maybe we didn't realise before but we don't have any proper simple, up beat rock songs, like a popular single-type song. there all too complicated and they end up falling apart and just not flowing smoothly

any tips how to reignite our song writing ability?
Quote by tastes_of_ink
write for yourself, not other people

if you write for other people you'll never be happy

true
try to make a song around just 1 chord progression. have the lead guitarist play a riff in the chorus and nothing in the verses maybe, and have an intro + outro. once you can build a song up from the bare bones itll get easier.
Quote by tastes_of_ink
write for yourself, not other people

if you write for other people you'll never be happy

Exactly that - As long as you're playing guitar, you should let everyone else write their riffs for their own instruments to go along with yours - You don't have to be a massive autocrat about it, but as a guitarist you've gotta lead the band. If the rest of your band can't write for themselves then it's something they're gonna have to learn to do.
Quote by kthxbi
try to make a song around just 1 chord progression. have the lead guitarist play a riff in the chorus and nothing in the verses maybe, and have an intro + outro. once you can build a song up from the bare bones itll get easier.

this and what the user above this guy says is true aswell.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
dude i know exactly what you're going through.. you probably feel like the stuff you're writing is cliched and when you try to do something different you end up with something you think is pretty good initially but after a few gigs starts sounding sick (whew!)...

what i do is this: just stop playing for like a week. or rather dont play with the intention to write new material. stop listening to your favourite bands, go listen to britney (only kidding)... this really helps me. if it works for you... \m/