The chromatic scale is just A|-34567891011 etc. So I don't really understand what I can learn of it and if it has some kind of function in music?
Thanks already,
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
almost none.

Chromatics in other scales have more use. Your never gonna write a song in the key of chromatic, but you can write a song in, say, the key of E and play an F. See what i mean?
chromatics just add some color to it. Just adding on to what he ^ said
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Yeah, I think so.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
warmups, and chromatic passage
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by PinkFloyd73
almost none.

Chromatics in other scales have more use. Your never gonna write a song in the key of chromatic, but you can write a song in, say, the key of E and play an F. See what i mean?

There is no such thing as the "key of chromatic". Scales are not keys. That said, the chromatic scale simply describes all twelve tones in Western music. As for never writing a song with it...tell that to Schoenberg.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
There is no such thing as the "key of chromatic". Scales are not keys. That said, the chromatic scale simply describes all twelve tones in Western music. As for never writing a song with it...tell that to Schoenberg.

ahh I saw you as the last post here, i figured youd pull out twelve tone music...

Obviously htere is no such thing as the key of chromatic. Twelve tone music is tonally ambiguous. and in this sense, this guy isnt gonna write a song from it (or at least it is very unlikely).
The function of the Chromatic scale is it's existence.

No really;

It has to be named for objective reasons to link various theoretic concepts together. That's why it is why it is.

Although everything is based of the Major scale, Chromatic scale IS everything. If I give you the chromatic scale, you can theoretically play everything in western music.

It is the building blocks of western music;

Thus it has to exist.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx

No really;

It has to be named for objective reasons to link various theoretic concepts together. That's why it is why it is.

Although everything is based of the Major scale, Chromatic scale IS everything. If I give you the chromatic scale, you can theoretically play anything.

Thus it has to exist.

^This

It's just a name for all twelve tones in (I was about to say the chromatic scale) Western music.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Well chromatics make good exercises for co-ordination or warming up.
Also from a theory point of view it gives you all the notes and whether or not they have sharps/flats.
The whole "whole tone" "semi tone" thing that the scales are made up of is based on the chromatic scale.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
I do not believe in the divinity of the chromatic scale. The chromatic scale is a good aproximation to everything found in western music, but it does not account for all of it. Blue notes in the blues (whether you consider this part of "western music" is a different subject; for all intents and purposes it is though) that are part way between minor and major thirds, major sixths and minor sevenths, are an integral part of the music we listen to today. It is a mistake to say everything is based on the chromatic scale. Everything goes back to what is more fundamental than that, and that is the harmonic series.
I might be mistaking ,but I thought any non Major or Minor music was using a chromatic scale. Not just the 12 tone scale. And anotherbluesguy I think you trying to say their is more than just 12 tet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_temperament

EDIT I guess chromatic scale is 12 tones but I swore someone was talking about using 10 noted scale was a chromatic scale. If someone can tell me what the difference is I would very happy.I'm new to theory and it's hard for me to understand.
Last edited by Musical Goblin at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx

No really;

Although everything is based of the Major scale, Chromatic scale IS everything. If I give you the chromatic scale, you can theoretically play everything in western music.

It is the building blocks of western music;

Thus it has to exist.
This

My understanding of scales is that they're for analysis purposes, not so much writing purposes. You can use keys to write music, but not so much scales. So to describe all 12 notes theorists call it the chromatic scale. To describe when a minor scale has a leading tone, they call it a harmonic minor scale.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Great exercises.

Songs can be written in chromatics. Flight Of The Bumblebee is a prime example.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by Iriathz
Songs can be written in chromatics. Flight Of The Bumblebee is a prime example.
Possibly. But I think if you took only the notes used on stressed beats and treated all the other notes as chromatic embellishments, surely you'd find a key.

Kudos to anyone that has the time to prove me right or wrong.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Possibly. But I think if you took only the notes used on stressed beats and treated all the other notes as chromatic embellishments, surely you'd find a key.

Kudos to anyone that has the time to prove me right or wrong.

SERIALISM.
2nd Viennese school
wrong
Quote by Tommy Walker
SERIALISM.
2nd Viennese school
wrong

Webern for the win...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=rFZoYXcch2o
Quote by Tommy Walker
SERIALISM.
2nd Viennese school
wrong
Okay, schoenbergism and atonalism is an exception. Wait, are you saying flight of the bumblebees is an atonal song?
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by PinkFloyd73
almost none.

Man and your name is Pink Floyd with an Atom Heart Mother avatar?? I only have two words for you - Interstellar Overdrive.
Si