I am looking to buy a guitar as a replacement to my first one, a Epiphone SG Special (179$ list). I play lead and rhythm, I would like to have a guitar that can put out a variety tones. I mostly play rock, light metal, and contemporary Christian music.
I am looking for a guitar around 400$

Thanks!
ibanez, Deans, lower end ESP or PRS.

if you play contemporary christian music you probably wouldnt be interested in BCRich because of their reputation amoung satanist metal.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

If you like your Sg for the way it feels why not just upgrade to an SG-400 or an Epi L.P. Standard. The 400 Sg is alot better than the special and the L.P. Standard is probably the most vesatile you can get on a limited budget. Also don't count out a hollow body electric , very versatile. Most all can be found for around your $400 budget
same. satan sis cool. if you wanted to stretch your budget a little wider you could look at ibanez RG series or presteige models. or even gibsons if you're better at finding bargains than me..

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Go used. there's some really nice stuff in that range.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Epi LP custom
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Right now I am leaning towards a Epi LP, or an ESP... now, ESP's are typically associated with metal, I don't mind that, but can they play other styles of music as well? I play some metal, but that is not all I play. I also want a whammy bar, and most LP's don't have that... but a lot of ESP's do...
I also LOVE the look of some of the ESP Curved tops! So smooth!
Quote by Nate.K
Right now I am leaning towards a Epi LP, or an ESP... now, ESP's are typically associated with metal, I don't mind that, but can they play other styles of music as well? I play some metal, but that is not all I play. I also want a whammy bar, and most LP's don't have that... but a lot of ESP's do...
I also LOVE the look of some of the ESP Curved tops! So smooth!

Honestly I don't think a 400$ ESP will be very good, and certainly not better then a Fender MIM Strat or a Epi Les Paul. The strat has a tremelo + whammy bar, and if you go HSS it will have a huge variety of sounds.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, what amp are you using?
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Feb 2, 2009,
I am using a Behringer Keyboard amp atm, with my POD xt Live... I play mostly on headphones though
I would say go for a Mexican HSS Strat. It should give you the softer stuff as well as the harder rock.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now