Ok, I'm thinking of saving up for this, as it's got a lot of stuff I want, effects, portability, huge range of tones, recording capabilities etc.

I'm just a bit confused as to how actually I use it in a set up? Do I need to buy a power amp for it to connect it to a guitar cab?
Yes, you still need a power amp section.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
How much do they run for? I know basically nothing of power amps. :P
Depends what kind you're going for and how many watts. You can pick up solid state power amps for a few hundred bucks pretty easily, or you can get a tube power amp which will be more expensive.

Or you can just plug it into any amp you already have.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I just plug my XT Live into a valve Junior. Love this thing.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Aye, well all I've currently got is a Roland Cube 60 right now and I know that using 2 modellers is a no-no. :P

Hmm using a amp would be more convenient, but I'm just a bit unsure as it would colour the tone.

Do power amp wattage work the same as regular combo guitar amp wattage ratings? Like say 15-30 solidstate is for practice amp size, whereas 100 watts would be gigging?
If so, I'd just need enough to be heard clearly over a loud drummer. :P
It does to a point. What I notice is the amp models have some type of internal boosts in them. For example with my 5 watt head and a JCM 800 amp model i can go against a drummer as long as he doesn't get to crazy. with the AC 30 amp model I can't. For some reason it's quieter. To get around this I do use my PA, but i still prefer to have the VJ in the mix. In some cases i feel the XT sounds a bit thin straight into a PA (not all cases). With the VJ it's a hybrid setup where you get a 12ax7 plus an el84. To my ear it adds alot of life to my tone.

edit I should say I just added another pedal that has a volume boost that has given me a few extra db's. Just haven't tried it against a drummer yet.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Jan 31, 2009,
So it does sound better with tubes included somewhere in the setup?
I think it makes a huge difference. Especially with the Plexi stuff. When I first got the POD I was running through a Vox DA 20 (you can bypass the preamp on that amp) and I liked it. It was better then the Vox on it's own and I was pretty happy with it. But when I plugged into a VJ it was so much better. It made sense to me though I figured I got this killer preamp only stands to reason a better power section was going to make a difference. Pretty subjective, but I think the people who walk past The VJ just because it has one knob on it are making a big mistake. An EQ alone totally transforms this amp and if you put something like a POD on it you get some pretty sweet versatility. Only down side is gig worthyness. It really sweats it without help from a PA.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Ah, so you would need a PA for gigs? Couldn't you just mic up the VJ?