Ok so ive been playing guitar for about a month and i know some riffs and stuff but everytime i try and learn a song i end up giving up on it . ( Ive tried 3 times)
So I was wondering what other thing should i do other than learn songs ?
When can I start learning songs ) When am I gonna be prepared?
What should I practice ? Im a beginner . I feel really frusrated so please help.

I like to listen to mtal like A7X and All that remains . If that helps.
Well, first we need to know what can you play and what have you learned already.
Have you learned scales, chords, arpeggios, chord progressions?
Have you developed alternate or economy picking at all? Once you nail alternate picking you can learn just about most riffs and songs.
The only way to practice it is doing scales and playing with a metronome.
anything you have a question over?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
I've been playing for about the same amount of time as you have but I play for several hours every day, and I must've tried to learn about 50 different songs so far and out of that I can only play about 15 of them well - The reason why I can't play them all is because some are badly tabbed, badly written or just too difficult.

I learned to play riffs by cradle of filth, slayer, nirvana, misfits, iron maiden and frankenstein drag queens - simply because they all write very memorable riffs, but not because they were easy in the slightest. I'm completely self taught for the moment and I've actually got bored of playing other peoples music, so I'm writing my own.

I'd say your problem is that you haven't practiced enough and/or you haven't diversified enough - My solution to being unable to practice alot at first was to practice at night. I must only sleep about 6 hours a night 'cus I always stay up so late jamming on my guitar.

Also, are you playing on your own? If you are, you should try and find someone else to play alongside - Even the simplest riffs sound great alongside a bassist.
Maybe the songs you're attempting are too difficult for you atm? As LaGrange asked, what basics do you have down? Open chords? Power chords? Hammer ons and pull offs? Bends? If you haven't at least got a good concept of these sorts of things you're going to find playing songs that use these skills difficult.

I'd say find an 'easy' song (only 1 or two new skills in it) that you like and try working on that. You might also have to leave 'metal' alone for a few months because it generally requires a few basic skills to be mastered first.

Good luck!
Quote by LaGrange
Well, first we need to know what can you play and what have you learned already.
Have you learned scales, chords, arpeggios, chord progressions?
Have you developed alternate or economy picking at all? Once you nail alternate picking you can learn just about most riffs and songs.
The only way to practice it is doing scales and playing with a metronome.
anything you have a question over?

I only know a couple of riffs.
I havent learned scales or anything . AT all
I havent developed anything.
I dont have a metronome.

So yeah Im a complete beginner.
Quote by firesprite
Maybe the songs you're attempting are too difficult for you atm? As LaGrange asked, what basics do you have down? Open chords? Power chords? Hammer ons and pull offs? Bends? If you haven't at least got a good concept of these sorts of things you're going to find playing songs that use these skills difficult.

I'd say find an 'easy' song (only 1 or two new skills in it) that you like and try working on that. You might also have to leave 'metal' alone for a few months because it generally requires a few basic skills to be mastered first.

Good luck!

I have attempted Never too late by 3 days grace . That was my lat attempt .
Well i know some chords like C A G E D and Cm Am Gm Em Dm .
But no power chords .
I know how to bend . kinda .
I know hot Hammer on and pull off . But only a little . and really slowly .

I dont have any easy song options .

Help.
Quote by decayingdave
I've been playing for about the same amount of time as you have but I play for several hours every day, and I must've tried to learn about 50 different songs so far and out of that I can only play about 15 of them well - The reason why I can't play them all is because some are badly tabbed, badly written or just too difficult.

I learned to play riffs by cradle of filth, slayer, nirvana, misfits, iron maiden and frankenstein drag queens - simply because they all write very memorable riffs, but not because they were easy in the slightest. I'm completely self taught for the moment and I've actually got bored of playing other peoples music, so I'm writing my own.

I'd say your problem is that you haven't practiced enough and/or you haven't diversified enough - My solution to being unable to practice alot at first was to practice at night. I must only sleep about 6 hours a night 'cus I always stay up so late jamming on my guitar.

Also, are you playing on your own? If you are, you should try and find someone else to play alongside - Even the simplest riffs sound great alongside a bassist.

Yeap im playing on my own . None of my friends play any instruments .
Quote by JavierFabre
I have attempted Never too late by 3 days grace . That was my lat attempt .
Well i know some chords like C A G E D and Cm Am Gm Em Dm .
But no power chords .
I know how to bend . kinda .
I know hot Hammer on and pull off . But only a little . and really slowly .

I dont have any easy song options .

Help.

Ok, with those open chords you should be able to have a decent stab at a few songs and you should also be able to have a go at powerchords without too much trouble.

I'd try something by Nirvana, AC/DC (but expect to give the solo's a bit of time, they're pretty straightforward but you'll need to work on your hammer ons, pull offs and bends), The Offspring, Green Day and, if you're willing to put the time in, some Metallica (Nothing Else Matters, Enter Sandman etc.). They might not be the most interesting things to play, but these bands/songs get recommended a lot for a reason - they're simple to start with.

Have a quick browse of the Beginner Song list (stickied) and see if anything strikes your fancy, you're looking for something with an rhythm part based around open chords and maybe a short, easy solo.

Also, www.metronomeonline.com - you now have a metronome!

Hope this helps
Quote by firesprite
Ok, with those open chords you should be able to have a decent stab at a few songs and you should also be able to have a go at powerchords without too much trouble.

I'd try something by Nirvana, AC/DC (but expect to give the solo's a bit of time, they're pretty straightforward but you'll need to work on your hammer ons, pull offs and bends), The Offspring, Green Day and, if you're willing to put the time in, some Metallica (Nothing Else Matters, Enter Sandman etc.). They might not be the most interesting things to play, but these bands/songs get recommended a lot for a reason - they're simple to start with.

Have a quick browse of the Beginner Song list (stickied) and see if anything strikes your fancy, you're looking for something with an rhythm part based around open chords and maybe a short, easy solo.

Also, www.metronomeonline.com - you now have a metronome!

Hope this helps

This really helped .
What songs from nirvana , AC/DC and the offspring specifcally do you recommend?
^^ I recommend having a look at the Beginner Song sticky on this forum for a full list of stuff you might like, but here's a few I'd recommend.

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (this one is a no brainer, if you're seriously having song troubles and don't liek Smoke On The Water, start here! )
Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box
AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long (Give the solo some time though)
AC/DC - TNT
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
The Offspring - Self Esteem

Have fun!