The instrument in question might actually be two different ones, but I really need to know what it is. You can hear it on two of the tracks here:
(you have to scroll down...)

It's used on the solo for 'Playdown' (starting around 2:00) and on the main riff for 'Happy Most of the Time' (around :06). It sounds like the same instrument to me, but I just can't tell what it is...
My guess was something similar, a keyboard or synth possibly. Can someone confirm that and/or suggest what effect could be used to get that sound?
You have some basic wave forms in synthesis. But I believe this is an edited square wave. If you have a synth you just need to experiment.
Quote by pandora_grunt
My guess is it's an analog synthesizer. Or a simulation of one.

I'm not really good at synth programming, but I think it sounds like a square wave?
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’