I'm learning "wish you were here" currently, and for the solo it has slides. Now with an electric I have no problems playing it, but on my Epiphone Dove, my hand sticks to the neck. My hand isn't sweaty at all. I think it's just because it's a finished neck.

Does anyone else have this problem? And what can I do to make my hand slide better?
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Take a Scotch pad (those hard green washing up pads) to the back of the neck and get the shine off, then some furniture spray and buff it.
That's actually why I try to avoid guitars with finished necks. They don't feel great when sliding across them. Although... I've played my Martin so much that the satin neck has now become shiny.

There's a string lubricant called Fingerease that I use. You can also spray some on the back of the neck to make it a little bit better to slide over.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I found the easyiest way to slide "barred" chords is to not use your thumb behind the neck at all as in the pic.

To get the required pressure you use your right elbow (seriously) as you are strumming you hold the body of your accoustic (or electric) with your srtumming arm hard to your body & this way you can pull agasinst the neck with just your fingers & have no need to use your thumb behind the neck
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Jan 31, 2009,
^ that sounds quite restrictive to me.

The lubricant string spray was also what I was going to suggest, it won't do an damage to the neck and should make it easier to slide (Gets rid of the scratcing sound too).
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
^ try it ^ it is also a way to relieve any hand stress from overuse while barre sliding. I use both methods forget the lubricants as it has been my experiance anything you put on your neck just builds up crud at each fret especially when sliding
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I've tried it on my LP before. Didn't work. All it ended up doing was bending my neck and changing the pitch. Then again...
1. my epi LP is crappy
2. i was probably using too much force.
I'll try it again on my Martin when I have some free time.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Try KY Jelly
-Keep on listening to the great Joe Strummer. Cos through music, we can live forever.
^^ No dont try KY ^^ LOL seriously.
if the finish on the back of the neck gets to you that much then definatly get rid of the finish. I was simply telling you another method that does work reguardless weather renegade2031 thinks it does or not.
Try playing "money for nothing" by Mark Knophler (Dire Straits) & you will find out what the line (blister on your little finger & blister on your thumb) is all about. The thumb he is refering to is the thumb on the back of the neck.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Its all about preference Dix Fix, that method doesn't work for me as my forearm begins to ache quickly, I suppose if you lift your thumb off for the slides only it could work...
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
I also don't like the idea of using FingeEase on the back of the neck. I've done it, and the overspray that can happen will leave little dots of stuff everywhere on the guitar. Seriously, the mist created when spraying this stuff on floats around the air and latches onto anything it lands on. I happened to see my Alvarez in the sunlight one day and saw all those spots. They were a pain to get rid of too. I had no choice but to use rubbing alcohol to get rid of them. Good thing is that the alcohol evaporates so quickly it didn't harm the finish, and I tested it in a little out of the way area first to make sure I wouldn't damage the finish. On high end guitar's I certainly would not suggest it.
Another idea is to have everything nice and clean prior to playing. Ever notice how when your hands are clean and totally dry they are more "slippery" feeling than when they are sweaty? Well, think about it when doing those slides. If your sweaty then your skin is going to want to stick to the finish of the neck. Problem is it doesn't last long before you start to sweat again.
If you MUST use something on the fretboard to help with the slides, FingerEase might help, but cover everything but the fretboard with towels before spraying it on, then wipe it off right away so you don't get any buildup over time. A safer stuff to use is GHS Fast Fret. It's more like a deodorant applicator thing. Crank up some then wipe it onto the strings and fretboard. No spray no mess. I've never tried it but a local band guy swears by it.
Psalm 150:4 I occasionally rub a little olive oil on the back, not saturated but just enough and that works fine. little windex takes it off, or even a nice car wax works too.