Ok long story short I'm starting a grunge/metal band and need some ideas for songs (and maybe some advice on being a frontman. I do have experience playing in a classic rock band for about a year and a half, just not leading it).

As far as the metal goes I'm leaning towards bands like Black Sabbath and Guns N' Roses (yeah Gn'R isn't exactly metal but it's around that area). Nothing incredibly heavy (Metallica, Megadeth, and stuff like that). I know my basics as far as essential grunge goes (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam) although I'm not sure which songs to choose (no Smells Like Teen Spirit).

I'm aiming for the basic band setup: two guitars, bass, drums, if that helps.
if you're gonna do sabbath, do sweet leaf.
for grunge just play some pearl jam
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Play some Alice in Chains, that way you get both grunge and metal. Good songs include Them Bones, We Die Young, Man in The Box, and Dam that River.
As for the other bands, paranoid is a good and easy Sabbath Song. Lithium would please Nirvana fans, and Blackhole Sun and Rusty Cage are good Soundgarden songs. I would also suggest some Stone Temple Pilots if you like them, songs like plush and sex-type thing.
Sounds like you guys are a Sludge/Stoner Metal band. Monster Magnet? The Melvins perhaps?

If you're going to do sabbath, I'd suggest Hand of Doom, or Supernaut.
Alice in Chains? Them Bones is always fun.
Clutch, Soundgarden, Kyuss, Jane's Addiction.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Dude.

If your doing Nirvana, Territorial Pissings, Heart shaped box, and rape me is the way to go.

As for GNR, Back Off Bitch, Dust N' Bones, and You Could Be Mine are some good ones.

Some of the Stuff off the Blizzard of Ozz is good.

Slither by Velvet Revolver is a good one, and Neither Can I by Slash's Snakepit, its a little more bluesy, but is still kinda heavy
Can't go wrong with a little Stone Temple Pilots.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Thanks guys. So far I know for Sabbath I'm definately doing Iron Man and either N.I.B. or Sweet Leaf, and Welcome to the Jungle for GN'R. Any other bands in a similar vain to those two?

As for grunge I'm thinking Black Hole Sun or Spoonman for Soundgarden, Heart Shaped Box for Nirvana and Evenflow for Pearl Jam. I'll look into the other bands as well.
Don't do Even Flow. Too cliched after GH. Go with Betterman, Alive, or even better Yellow Ledbetter.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
ok Grunge is easy. you've got: Nirvana, Sound Garden, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains. the only rule here is no Smells Like Teen Spirit. other than that just listen to their stuff and see what you like?

Metal im not so much help, but Sabbath is the obvious one.

and as for your question about being front man. you need to get the crowd involved. that's your job. and dont confuse band leader with front man. they are not one and the same.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Definitely do sweet leaf. Its metal but also grungey too. (Want proof? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LpdCXlOc2b0 click there).

As for others i dunno, go for what you wanna do. Look into bands like Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Mudhoney, Alice In Chains, Mother Love Bone, Jesus and Mary Chain, Meatpuppets, Some of Neil Youngs later stuff (Rockin' in the free world etc), Stone Temple Pilots. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge#Prominent_bands there you go. Have a look there.

As for metal, im not so hot on it to be honest. GnR id do like Mr Brownstone, Garden of Eden, Back off Bitch, Out To Get Me etc. The faster, more punky stuff.

Please do not do Paranoid. Ever. Thankyou.

db

Edit: Just saw bout the frontman bit. Onsatge, you are the focal point for the audience. Everyone will be looking at you for like 80% of the time. So be interesting. Dance, jig around. Look like you are having fun. Don't air guitar during solos. Ever.

Speaking of during solos, don't dance so much that everyone is watching you and the attention is detracted away from the soloist, as the soloist will be super pissed off. Get a tambourine or something (provided you're not playing guitar) and bang that along with the rhythm.

Smile at people in the audicence. Its your job to connect with the audience, so do it. If you give the impression that you're having the most fun in the world playing to those people in the audience (whether its three people in an upstairs room above a bar in Croydon or the O2) then people will remeber you and enjoy themselves.

Also, dress impressively. Not flashy as such, but in a way that people will think ''ooo he looked smart'. It'll help them remember you, believe me.

The important thing about being the frontman is that you can't be shy onstage. Don't be arrogant, but if you go all shy and hide behind amps and stuff, people will be like 'Wtf?'.

Sorry thats all a bit jumbled.

db
Last edited by darthbuttchin at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by Timothy O.
Thanks guys. So far I know for Sabbath I'm definately doing Iron Man and either N.I.B. or Sweet Leaf, and Welcome to the Jungle for GN'R. Any other bands in a similar vain to those two?

As for grunge I'm thinking Black Hole Sun or Spoonman for Soundgarden, Heart Shaped Box for Nirvana and Evenflow for Pearl Jam. I'll look into the other bands as well.

I wouldn't do Black Hole Sun, or Iron Man way too overdone.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Paranoid
Wasted Years and/or hallowed be thy name
welcome to the jungle/sweet child o mine/paradise city
God Gave Rock And Roll To You
Stand Up And Shout
Hellcat or Heavy Metal Thunder

I dont know grunge

oooh....and hammer smashed face
Thanks for the tips. I'm actually the lead guitar so I'm actually the one doing the solos.

And I am not doing Paranoid or Smells Like Teen Spirit. I really want to do Iron Man though. I don't care how cliche it is. xD

EDIT: OK after discussing songs with my bassist, we've come up with a basic songlist.

*Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N' Roses
*Iron Man - Black Sabbath
*Man In The Box - Alice In Chains
*She Builds Quick Machines - Velvet Revolver
*Joker and the Thief - Wolfmother
*Suck Me Dry - Mudhoney
*Steady as She Goes - The Raconteurs (we're rearranging it to be heavier)
*All Apologies - Nirvana
*Territorial Pissings - Nirvana
*Heart-Shaped Box - Nirvana
*Sweet Willy Rollbar - The Melvins
*You Know My Name - Chris Cornell
*Jesus Christ Pose - Soundgarden
*Spoonman - Soundgarden
*Last Kiss - Pearl Jam

That's probably more than enough for now. Is there any songs on there that should be like, essential to do and would there really be a big problem with any of the songs already on the list? The Raconteurs song was mainly because people tell me I have a Jack White voice when I do his songs so my bassist thought it would be good to do (and I think rearranging it would prove a fun challenge). I know Last Kiss isn't written by Pearl Jam, I just figured Pearl Jam's cover would be good stylistically and would provide a bit of a break from the more heavily distorted stuff.
Last edited by Timothy O. at Feb 1, 2009,