Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by cratskomodo
Well, where I usually practice, its a MG50.

Obligatory "omg you'll never get it out of that amp!1!!1! one one !1"

But seriously, you won't really get it out of that amp.
Well, couldn't I at least try?
Since all of Mayer's OD is from pedals, I might be able to get it out of this pedal.
agreed..

edit: the difference isn't his pedals, its his amp.

I guess everyone is being a little harsh so just fiddle with the gain knob to taste and put it over your MG's clean channel and eq once you get the right OD...
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Last edited by DaddyBarbs at Jan 31, 2009,
The basis of his tone is usually a two rock or some other expensive tube amp for the basis of his tone. ODs tend to react differently with SS amps than tube amps.
Quote by JilaX^
The basis of his tone is usually a two rock or some other expensive tube amp for the basis of his tone. ODs tend to react differently with SS amps than tube amps.

Ah, I see.
Alright, well anyone got any settings at all to get me started?
Even something general?
i have a bad monkey, and i used to have an MG50 DFX amp
(but a few months ago got my vox ac30, pure ear sex, and recently got my keeley BD-2 too)
if you want a bluese-y john mayer-y tone, the must is clean channel, probably wanting a bit more bass, and reverb! plenty of reverb!
as for the bad monkey, go for a low gain setting (no greater than 12 or 11 oclock) and then balance out that with the volume to its not too loud so it doesnt kill your amp (or your ears)
its been a while since i played around with the bass/treble control of the bad monkey, but id assume relatively high bass for a warmer sound, but dont turn the highs down too much, cos otherwise the sound gets a bit empty, and just sounds like there is a dimension missing

what guitar you playing?
ah oks, i never had the chance to try any strat style guitars on my marshall, but it guess neck pickup with those sorta settings would sound quite bluesey

edit: oh, and i almost forgot, hit on that button that emulates a tube-like sound on the marshall! it seemed to make a bit of a subtle difference!
Last edited by jaybals at Jan 31, 2009,