I'm thinking about scalloping my acoustic's fretboard, because most of the time I like to play some fast classical stuff (I don't have a nylon string yet). I'm thinking about only doing it on Frets 8+ because I still want to do chord-based stuff. And just to be safe, I'll do it on my crap First Act acoustic. Your thoughts? I'll be back in a few hours to see your thoughts.

Thanks all.
Quote by binary-ghost
i really wish i had pics to proove it... i just realized how immensely unbelievable this is but... i promise you... he was doing something to the dogs crotch with his face..
As you may know, John McLaughlin had a custom-built scalloped fret acoustic that he used back in the 70s with Shakti... truly amazing instrument. You should get some incredible sustain and there's really no major reason not to have all the frets scalloped, it's just a matter of how you play the instrument.

Here are some videos of John w/ Shakti in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AzovMu-2LY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHDO1HN06Fc

Also, here's an answer from Abe Wechter on the subject:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag130/QandA130.html

My next custom instrument will have scalloped frets, for sure. Go for it.
Last edited by jazroc at Jan 31, 2009,
Sounds like a fun idea. Go for it. It's just a first act guitar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Might as well give it a shot if its a spare acoustic, I looked into doing this when I was an avid shredder wannabe. Seems wise doing it on the higher frets first, you can get use to it and see if you want the whole neck scalloped, chords are still possible but difficult and also you've got to get the pressure right to keep the strings pitch correct, a little much or little can send it sharp or flat.

But as I said at first you just give it a shot if you don't care about the guitar
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
All right, I guess I'll go ahead and do it. And special thanks to jazroc, the smartest Jan 09'er I've seen all year, for those vids.
Quote by binary-ghost
i really wish i had pics to proove it... i just realized how immensely unbelievable this is but... i promise you... he was doing something to the dogs crotch with his face..
I'm thinking about doing it on this knackered classical I've got. I'm tempted to buy just a round file and get lian into it. I know you probobly get alot of sweaty teenagers on here that have no patience for anything that doesn't have "gibson" on the headstock - but this thing really is a piece of ****e - it's an Ikea guitar and the action is so high just fretting chords puts them out of tune. I'll lower the action on it at the same time as scalloping. what do you lot think is a reasonable depth for a nylon guitar's scallop?
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 31, 2009,