I heard that alchool, cigarretes and other drugs can make your voice better for singing. I also heard that Jim Morrison's and Freddy Mercury's voices were "moulded" by alchool.
So, is it true? Because I'm willing to drink myself stupid to have a better singing voice
If you want to sound like Tom Wait's then drink straight whiskey 24/7 while periodically stopping to smoke packs of unfiltered cigarettes. If that's not the voice you're going for then I'd suggest not doing either.
Phil Anselmo.

/thread
Quote by RU Experienced?
Go see U2, then you can say you contributed money to Bono's giant Irish tower built out of the blood, tears, and the hopes of African children.
Quote by groovy-elephant
I heard that alchool, cigarretes and other drugs can make your voice better for singing. I also heard that Jim Morrison's and Freddy Mercury's voices were "moulded" by alchool.
So, is it true? Because I'm willing to drink myself stupid to have a better singing voice

You....really..don't have a clue do you?

Alcohol, fags and drugs will NOT help your voice in any way.

But go ahead, kill yourself. I won't care.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Dude, look at James Hetfield. His voice was SOOOOOOO much better when he drank and smoke. Drinking and smoking can make your voice more raspy and crackly, they won't clear it up though. So to say that it makes your voice "better" just depends on the music you play.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
I often get soar throats from shouting, but drinking lots of beer and constantly excersizing my vocal chords by talking continuously tends to help strengthen and heal my soar throat - I let my liver take the fall for it!

Smoking did my voice harm and I don't think that drugs would do anything more than screw with your inhibitions, so I wouldn't recommend that you try those two.
this thread fails on all different sorts of levels. Hetfields voice got worse because he got older. God..its amazing isn't it? Your voice gets better with practice. look at lemmy kilmiester. his voice sounds like **** from all the smoking a drinking. you should be banned on the terms of outright idiocy...
Mercury could have swallowed barbed wire, pulled it outta his ass and flossed with it and he still would have been a better singer than you. It depends on your voice, not ****ing your vocal chords up.
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
I don't think drinking yourself to death to sound better is exactly worth it IMO.
Just sayin'.
Quote by HIM%(^
this thread fails on all different sorts of levels. Hetfields voice got worse because he got older. God..its amazing isn't it? Your voice gets better with practice. look at lemmy kilmiester. his voice sounds like **** from all the smoking a drinking. you should be banned on the terms of outright idiocy...

You win. I just love to smoke and drink haha.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Yeah, I guess you're right. But still, alchool and drugs can't make your voice better, but they can "help" you to make great music
if you want a raspy voice then yeah, smokin and drinkin will help. but it will also **** up your health.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Quote by groovy-elephant
I heard that alchool, cigarretes and other drugs can make your voice better for singing.

I'm not a smart person but I know that that is not right. lol Lemmy sure wasn't born with that voice.

EDIT: Well I posted a bit late.
Quote by SG6578
Dude, look at James Hetfield. His voice was SOOOOOOO much better when he drank and smoke. Drinking and smoking can make your voice more raspy and crackly, they won't clear it up though. So to say that it makes your voice "better" just depends on the music you play.

Hetfield never smoked. At all.
The religious myth is the most powerful device ever created, and serves as the psychological soil upon which other myths can flourish.
Quote by groovy-elephant
Yeah, I guess you're right. But still, alchool and drugs can't make your voice better, but they can "help" you to make great music

No, instrumental and songwriting abilities help you to write great music.

But yeah, go ahead. I think I'll be seeing you in the next edition of the Darwin awards..
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

hot tea and honey, my friend.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Freddie Mercury also swallowed a lot of semen in his time.

That may be good for the voice. I don't know.
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
Quote by groovy-elephant

No they don't.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I swear eating feces is the best way to improve your voice fast ?
right pit ?

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Quote by noxiosimitator
right pit ?

Hell yeah.

Do it TS.

DO IITTTT.

Quote by dark&broken

best thing to do to help your voice is sing. but If like me you find singin a bit embarassing then sometimes even just thinking about singing can help a little. alot of the time I can actually tell whether I'm going to be able to sing a high note before I even open my mouth - I think singing's about like, the link between your brain and your voicebox as much as say, what your voicebox and lungs are actually capable of. half the battle is imagining the sound in your head.

haha, the first thing I do when the house is empty is get the acoustic out and sing at full pelt.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 31, 2009,
to be honest.. it'll change your voice, it might sound good.. or you might just sound like a raspy tool. but then you could play blues i suppose.

but i would be willing to argue over if alcohol/drugs make better music. well, it doesn't make it better, it just inspires a lot of good works.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Quote by daft
Freddie Mercury also swallowed a lot of semen in his time.

That may be good for the voice. I don't know.

gotta try that...
If anything it'll make it worse.

Roy Khan and Meat Loaf don't drink themselves to death or smoke, yet IN MY OPINION they have the GREATEST voices in music.

... Spesh Roy Khan.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by RU Experienced?
If you want to sound like Tom Wait's then drink straight whiskey 24/7 while periodically stopping to smoke packs of unfiltered cigarettes. If that's not the voice you're going for then I'd suggest not doing either.

Tom quit drinking and smoking in the 80s, before he started singing in that harsh cookie monster voice.

Seriously, though.. if you want to know what smoking will do to your voice, you can always listen to Soundgarden and then listen to Chris Cornell solo. It's not a happy outcome.

Your whole theory is stupid, though. It's like.. Hm.. Well, Layne Staley did heroin.. I know.. I should use heroin!
Quote by groovy-elephant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuVxDT-m3YI

You raise a good point.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jan 31, 2009,
you will seriously destroy all chances of proper vocalization. in a few years Randy Blythe's vocal cords are going to be paralyzed.

seriously, don't fukk with your throat like that - the only cause of a good singing voice has been and always will be a natural gift.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Quote by noxiosimitator
right pit ?

Obviously.

Edit: I heard Meth is great for the voice!
Last edited by drunkinkoala at Jan 31, 2009,