Okay thanks to tuxguitar and much practice, I can finally almost strum the intro part up to speed, but I notice that I keep getting this terrible pick scrape sound from the muted b string in there.

I tried my fender light pick, medium, hard, all sounding like ass. Do I need a felt pick or something? Or did tom petty just do some amazing studio work. Or maybe they took the friggin b string off altogether, I know goo goo dolls do that kinda stuff.

+-10----10----10------10--10101010+-10101010--1010101010----10101010+
|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
|-7-----7-----7-------7---7-7-----|-7-7---7---7-7-7-7-7-----7-7-7-7-|
|-0-----0-----0-------0-----------|-0-----0---0---------0-----------|
|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
+---------------------------------+---------------------------------+
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
I don't have that problem. Maybe your action is too low or maybe you are more than muting it, like pressing it down a little you much. Not quite producing the not but too much for a mute. I don't really know but that would be my guess.

What guitar are using for this?
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
Les paul /w 10's

its definitely not being held down. its just the sounding out of the muted b string.
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
How about hybrid picking? Try that yet? You should be able to use your flat pick for the D/G strings and your 3rd finger for the high E. Then the B string isn't in the equasion at all. If you want to see a vid of someone who's excellent at this, watch some Tommy Shaw stuff(Styx). Also your angle of attack with the pick might be doing it, meaning that you might be angling the pick across the strings getting that pick scrape sound off the B.
Yeah I agree with Lefty, you could possibly be angling your pick which would explain the scraping sound.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.