I recently had a band practice at my house and my drummer who played on my drumset complained that it was out of "tune". My question is: How do you tune a drumset and how do you determine it's in tune?
You tune it with a drum key and an actual tuner. You set the tuner on (whatever drum it is and what you want it to sound like). Then you take the key and tighten or loosen the nuts on opposite sides of the drum and work in a clockwise direction.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
the tension on upper drumhead must be the same as on the lower hrumhead...

tips

losen the bassdrumhead screws just so the drumhead inst lose, that way it sounds the best..

toms are tuned in a "major 3/5" way..
floor tom to tom2 =maj. third
tom2 to tom1=min. third..

at least i think so.. dunno, cause my drummer tunes the drums, so i dont know really
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Make your drummer friend do it; he can obviously discern the drumset's tuning.
Quote by iceman95
ok
here's what you do
1. Take a fork, preferably metal.
2. Put some tomato sauce on it.
3. Let tomato sauce on fork dry.
4. Turn it in and call it: "The Spaghetti Massacre."

New guitar fund = beer/0
Generally for double head drums the top skin is for the basic tone you're interested in and the bottom fine tunes the overtones as a looser bottom head absorbs more than a tighter one. An old drummer friend of mine would press all around the drum head perimeter and tap the skin there too, to determine the tension was the same all around the perimeter of the head. This is important to get a clean tone.
Moving on.....
Quote by SG6578
You tune it with a drum key and an actual tuner. You set the tuner on (whatever drum it is and what you want it to sound like). Then you take the key and tighten or loosen the nuts on opposite sides of the drum and work in a clockwise direction.

I wouldn't do it clockwise, I would tighten one, then the one across from it, then the one across from that, so it's kind of like a star pattern.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Drum tuning isn't so much getting to an exact pitch, but

1. How 'tight' or 'loose' you sound
2. The tuning between your toms can be 'wide spaced' or 'close' (making up terminology as I go here)