I am so lost when it come to amps. Im looking to buy a Peavey 5150/6505. Could someone explain the differences between buying the 5150 head and an amp and just buying the 5150 combo? is it just more convenient to have the combo? i can only find the head for sale and not the combo. should i just buy the head and then buy an amp?

thanks.

-mike
With a combo, it's like having the head installed in a box with the speakers. When you get a head, it is only the tubes and circuitry and such. To use a head you need a cab ( box loaded with speakers)

If you were to buy the peavey head, you would need to buy a speaker cab that matched the head.

Stacks are generally bigger as it's a head on a 4x12 or two 4x12 cabs whereas a combo is generally 1x12 or 2x12. But that's only generally. I'm about to get a 1x12 stack, if you can even call it that and I've seen 4x12 and even bigger combos. I personally think it's easier to cart around a large stack than a large combo cause you can carry the speakers and head separately. But if you have a 1x12 combo, it'll be easier to transport than any stack.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jan 31, 2009,
I would get the head and cab. You'll spend more but it's a hell of a lot easier to switch either one out.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Quote by Xaeravoq
lol cab = amp?

and how do i know if the cab matches the head?

cab=speakers.

The cab and head will both have ohm ratings, usually 4 8 or 16. The head can generally adjust between those 3 ratings. The cab will be marked with one of those ratings. They have to match.

SG6578 has one of those 1x12 "stacks" and the same one I'm about to get.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Xaeravoq
...should i just buy the head and then buy an amp?

The head is the amp buddy. Maybe you should stick with the combo.
Id say head and cab. In the long run, itll be cheaper if you want to get a different piece. Instead of spending $600 for a new combo to change your sound, youll only need to spend $300 or $400 for a new head.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
cab=speakers.

The cab and head will both have ohm ratings, usually 4 8 or 16. The head can generally adjust between those 3 ratings. The cab will be marked with one of those ratings. They have to match.

ok so the head can adjust between the settings and the cab will be marked with 1 specific setting. so i just need to find out what the ohm rating is for the cab, then set the head for that number?
Quote by Xaeravoq
ok so the head can adjust between the settings and the cab will be marked with 1 specific setting. so i just need to find out what the ohm rating is for the cab, then set the head for that number?

Generally, and generally. Some heads only have one setting, some cabs are adjustable. It just depends on the amp or cab. But MOST of the time the cab is set.

But yes, they need to match. Or if you are using 2 separate cabs, they also need to match together with the head.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712