I have only been playing the guitar and bass for about 5 months. So far I figured out how to read tab, and play a few songs containing power chords. But I have no clue on the chord theory which is really starting to hurt trying to learn power chords. So if someone could please simply explain to me chord theory and how it relates to power chords?
well. I've taken AP music theory and I don't know what you mean by "chord theory" but power "chords" are really just 5ths, the interval. e.g E to B or A E. 5 steps apart. They aren't usually considered "chords" as they don't have a major/minor quality since they lack the 3rd interval. The 3rd of a chord is what determines major or minor. C E G is a major chord, lower the 3rd, and it's a minor chord. C Eb G. Without the Eb or E the "chord" is simply a 5th.

They also generally have the octave added on. A E A or C G C
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jan 31, 2009,
power chords are made up of basically two notes- the root and the third (and octave-the same note as the root). if you have an A power chord you have a, e, a on the 6, 5, 4 strings respectively. pretty simple. or you if you are in dadgbe tuning, you would just bar the bottom 3 strings, since the low E will be a step lower to make the root, third and octave. hope that helps a bit.
Well, a power chord is the root note, I.E the first note in a musical scale (scales govern almost all music theory) and then the fifth note in the scale, and then the octave, or the eighth note in a scale. The octave is a note which is twelve notes (or frets) higher than the root note. if you're wondering what scale I am on about, see here. http://all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=5&scch=A&scchnam=Major&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1

The first note in this scale is A, the second B, and so on.
Quote by guitar033
power chords are made up of basically two notes- the root and the third (and octave-the same note as the root). if you have an A power chord you have a, e, a on the 6, 5, 4 strings respectively. pretty simple. or you if you are in dadgbe tuning, you would just bar the bottom 3 strings, since the low E will be a step lower to make the root, third and octave. hope that helps a bit.

I hope you mean the fifth, not third!
Quote by hazard us waste
I have only been playing the guitar and bass for about 5 months. So far I figured out how to read tab, and play a few songs containing power chords. But I have no clue on the chord theory which is really starting to hurt trying to learn power chords. So if someone could please simply explain to me chord theory and how it relates to power chords?

go to

www.guitarchords247.com
Sarcasm is beautiful, think about it.