can i get a brutal metal sound with a peavey classic 50 and a krank distortus maximus?
Last edited by northman at Jan 31, 2009,
Sure.
But, be a little more informative. We can't work with this little. We need to know your whole setup and WHAT type of metal sound you're going for.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
a good death metal sound.guitar wise i have a gibson gothic explorer and a ibanez vbt700 a boss metal core and krank distortus maximus. i have a spider 3 but have a classic 50 212 in layaway. cant wait to get the peavey!
I'd say the Classic isn't your best option here; The 6505+ 112 is coming out in a few months, for about $500.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
[quote="oneblackened The 6505+ 112 is coming out in a few months, for about $500.[/QUOTE"]
really?

I get a decent metal sound outta my classic 30 and maxon od-808. I'm running my sg into this, gain full on amp + level full on OD.

The metal tone I get isn't great for newer stuff like death metal, but works good for metallica and iron maiden type stuff, even some newer more marshally sounding high gain tones.

The only problem is I get a lot of feedback/buzz when I have my pedal cranked alongside the amp, I guess something like an isp decimator could fix that.

Can be done, but there are amps that will work better if metal is your primary playing style. I only play metal occasionally, classic rock/cleans most of the time so the classic 30 is the perfect amp for me.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
really?

I get a decent metal sound outta my classic 30 and maxon od-808. I'm running my sg into this, gain full on amp + level full on OD.

The metal tone I get isn't great for newer stuff like death metal, but works good for metallica and iron maiden type stuff, even some newer more marshally sounding high gain tones.

The only problem is I get a lot of feedback/buzz when I have my pedal cranked alongside the amp, I guess something like an isp decimator could fix that.

Can be done, but there are amps that will work better if metal is your primary playing style. I only play metal occasionally, classic rock/cleans most of the time so the classic 30 is the perfect amp for me.

Yep.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by danyellenik
really?

+1

But keep in mind the classic 50, while having More bottom end, has Less gain on tap.
That being said, if you want versatility, you didn't go wrong by choosing the c50. Throw a good pedal in front of it (like the one you're looking at, look around and listen to a few if you haven't), then later get an OD pedal and you can make just about any tone you want!