OK, here's the deal. My grandfather has this oooold vintage Peavey amp of his. It's at least older than twenty five or so, much more likely it's about thirty or forty. It's 100 watts, and is a combo. I don't know if it's a tube, but I would think so. It sometimes shocks you when you touch the strings; isn't that always something to do with a tube amp? Anyway, I was wondering what it was and maybe how much it's worth (not that he or I would ever sell it! ) It's got a really thick full, warm sound when played with humbuckers, but I don't really know anything else about it. no pics either.

Now, an easier one. He's also got this old Kay electric guitar. I know it doesn't have 22 frets, and It's not fully solid, there's like a tone cavity (I forget what you call it) I might have some pics of this one. Same questions, do you know the type and price nowadays for it?

Any info on this stuff is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Pics of guitar (sorry none of the amp ) :

As you can see, it's got a Bigsby Vibrato as well. And check out those pickups!

I've never heard of Kay gutiars before. How does it sound through a newer amp?

and is it possible to get pics of the Peavey? am very interested in seeing that one
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
I've never heard of Kay gutiars before. How does it sound through a newer amp?

and is it possible to get pics of the Peavey? am very interested in seeing that one

Kay guitars are an OOOOLD guitar brand, back there with Supro and such. I just looked up their Wiki, they stopped in 1968 so this thing is ancient. They made blues, country and bluegrass guitars.

I can't get pics of the Peavey any time soon, but as soon as I go there to his house again, I'll get pics. It'll probably be a week or two though.

EDIT: I never tried it through a newer amp, it's at my grandparent's house which is 1hr and 30mins away, so I never thought to bring my amp because the Peavey sounded great. I know the Kay doesn't have humbucks though, because I have a Jaguar with humbuckers and a switch on it to change them into single coils. So I can play the amp with single coils or humbucks, and humbuckers sound alot better (which the Kay doesn't have)

Last edited by SaintsofNowhere at Jan 31, 2009,
The Peavey amp probably has an old 2-prong plug on it. The chassis isn't ground and you probably have about 60 volts AC riding on it. Since the strings on the guitar are grounded, that's why you're getting shocked. This is actually a very dangerous condition, especially if you were to step in some water. It could be lights out forever and only minor chords for you... If you ever happen to obtain this amp, I would strongly consider taking it to a shop and having it retrofitted with a newer 3-prong power cable and plug. It may change the value a little, but it will improve the safety of the amp a lot. Besides that, if the existing cable is 25 or 30 years old, it's probably about ready to be changed. Any decent guitar shop can do this for you - provided they have an electronics technician.
also known as coil-tapping ^^

Well, as soon as you can, let me know about the Peavey, because if that thing is as old as the Kay, you may have an ancient classic lmao
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by KG6_Steven
The Peavey amp probably has an old 2-prong plug on it. The chassis isn't ground and you probably have about 60 volts AC riding on it. Since the strings on the guitar are grounded, that's why you're getting shocked. This is actually a very dangerous condition, especially if you were to step in some water. It could be lights out forever and only minor chords for you... If you ever happen to obtain this amp, I would strongly consider taking it to a shop and having it retrofitted with a newer 3-prong power cable and plug. It may change the value a little, but it will improve the safety of the amp a lot. Besides that, if the existing cable is 25 or 30 years old, it's probably about ready to be changed. Any decent guitar shop can do this for you - provided they have an electronics technician.

If you mean the plug for the amp... yes, it has a grounding cable. That much I remember. And OK, if I ever get it, I'll take it to the local music shop.

KG6_Steven may be close! Older tubes amps often had a ground lift switch on them to help reduce hum. If it has one it may be the culprit ( switch in wrong position) or the wiring may have an issue where the ground lead has come loose or the cable damaged.
Perhaps the siring in oyur grandparentsplace is also not up to snuff if it has older wiring!
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
KG6_Steven may be close! Older tubes amps often had a ground lift switch on them to help reduce hum. If it has one it may be the culprit ( switch in wrong position) or the wiring may have an issue where the ground lead has come loose or the cable damaged.
Perhaps the siring in oyur grandparentsplace is also not up to snuff if it has older wiring!

OK, I don't know if this is it, but might as well throw it out there.

It was set up like a three way toggle switch on a Les Paul or something. Middle was off, left was on, and right was on. It didn't say any thing except "Off" over the middle, "On" on the left of the switch and "On" to the right. If I also remember correctly, one side would make a lot of hum and noise, and also shock occasionally. Could that be it?

Look around in the back to see if you can see a location for tubes. That should be a good way to figure out if it's a tube amp.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
OK, I don't know if this is it, but might as well throw it out there.

It was set up like a three way toggle switch on a Les Paul or something. Middle was off, left was on, and right was on. It didn't say any thing except "Off" over the middle, "On" on the left of the switch and "On" to the right. If I also remember correctly, one side would make a lot of hum and noise, and also shock occasionally. Could that be it?

Yes that sounds like your ground lift switch alright! If you have access to a Digital Multi-Meter or ohm meter you could unplug the amp and measure for continuity between the ground lug on the AC plug to your chassis in the different switch positions.
Moving on.....
Kay made some pretty solid guitars back when they were being manufactured, I have an acoustic, it sounds pretty good.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss SD-1
Ah you need an oldster like me. The Kay was a pretty good make. They were marketed by Selmer in UK and were top of the range in price whereas Hofners were low to middle. I'm remembering the Hofners in the £25 to £60 range at the time and the Kay brand from about £100. This was a bit before you could buy an SG Standard for £200 new.
Peavey hit the UK market big in about '71 or '72 with well respected valve combos, a market previously dominated by Fender and Vox.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

UPDATE: OK, I went back down to my grandparent's house last weekend for a concert (which I didn't get to go to [The Parlor Mob was the concert, if anyone was wondering]). Anyway, I got a chance to take some pictures of the Kay and the AMP! So maybe you guys can help me out or just enjoy the pics of the Peavey. Now I know what the Peavey is now, but have no info on it. I won't tell you what the amp is until the pics are done uploading. I still need help finding what kind of Kay it is though. If none of you guys recognize it, I'll go over to the EGF. Well, I'm off to check if the pics are uploaded, so get ready!

That guitar looks pretty win.

IIRC, they were manufactured in the Danelectro factory, where ever the hell that was, as were Silvertones. That model looks strikingly like a Harmony Bobkat, though that's all I can really say about it right now.
Quote by imgooley
That guitar looks pretty win.

IIRC, they were manufactured in the Danelectro factory, where ever the hell that was, as were Silvertones. That model looks strikingly like a Harmony Bobkat, though that's all I can really say about it right now.

Thanks. I'm about to upload more pics of the Kay, so maybe that'll help. BTW I love the Black Keys too.

ATTENTION! THE PICTURES ARE HERE!!!!

More coming in a few minutes (The last one wasn't meant to be a tease..)

That peavey is a solid-state bass amp...

...an old solid-state bass amp, to be precise.
I'm not cool.
Quote by StrangeAngel
That peavey is a solid-state bass amp...

...an old solid-state bass amp, to be precise.

Yeah I figured that out. But all i can find info on is the TNT 115. But my main concern is the Kay now .

These are crap pics i know

The thing I love about my family is that we're just a really long line of musicians my great grandfather had a Strat back in the day and it's still at my great aunt's house. He had a bunch of basses from the 50's/60's and a Harmony hollow body and we still have them around somewhere. My grandfather's got the Kay. My dad has an early 70's Fender Acoustic. The list never ends!

And the reason my grandfather had a bass amp is because it was probably my great grand father's, who primarily played bass. Anyway, I know they're crappy pics, but if you know anything about the Kay, TELL ME!!!! ^_^

Yep I beleive our school band has a TNT as I saw it on a float in the parking lot at christmas. BTW I have an archtop from Kay that was built back probably late 40s early 50s and its a beast =)
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Quote by BlackIce87
Yep I beleive our school band has a TNT as I saw it on a float in the parking lot at christmas. BTW I have an archtop from Kay that was built back probably late 40s early 50s and its a beast =)

Was it a TNT 100? Probly not, but if you find out it is, gimme any info you have. And yeah, the Kay is in the best condition of them all, but I'm sure a luthier could easily fix up the Harmony and Strat. I can't wait to play them, but I'm probably not gonna get a chance to fix them up for a few years.