Page 1 of 2
You guys think its possible or just too floppy?
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Jackson King V (for sale!)
Ibanez 7321
Digitech Hothead(for sale!)
Digitech Deathmetal(for sale!)
Ah thought so. I might just put 9's on and leave my 56 on there. Think that would work?
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Ibanez 7321
I wouldn't do it personally, for Drop C I prefer a .10 set with a .52 low C.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Man... You have to keep the tension right, or else it will go out of tune at the slightest touch.
For drop C, i would suggest at least 12's, maybe even 13's.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Drop C = 12's or 13's
Gear:

Tokai Les Paul LS65
Carvin MTS3200 212 Combo
Boss SD-1 with Monte Allums GT Mod
Dunlop Crybaby

100 Watt Marshall JCM900 2x12 Combo For Sale! £400! PM Me For Details/Offers...
Yeah. I have 12's now and they are too big. I need to file my nut and I can't do that right now. So, I guess I just will reset it up for drop d :\.
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Ibanez 7321
i use .9's for C standard, its pretty floppy but it can be done
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
haha i like the strings really floppy but i use 10s
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
i've had 11's on mine for a while, drop c, i've only had to tune it slightly
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
My band plays live shows with 9's in drop C.
I have only 1 electric that has humbuckers though so i kinda have to as i use E standard D standard Drop D Drop C Doubled drop D and Doubled drop C.

I Need the trilogy bridge so bad
I played in C with a set of 9's and a 10 on the high E (or high C, rather) for a while on a Epi Les Paul mostly cause I was too lazy to change to 10's and I really didn't encounter too many problems other than having a thinner tone that I would have liked.
Why would you even wanna do something so dumb....? 9's are garbage at any tuning, come on!
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
also, if you kept 9's in drop c then tuned them up later, they might just snap from the sudden change?
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
Quote by HavokStrife
Why would you even wanna do something so dumb....? 9's are garbage at any tuning, come on!

I'm going to have to agree, even 9's in standard feel and sound pretty pathetic to me. I've always used 11's and I feel really weird using anything less than a 10.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
Quote by Ninjake
also, if you kept 9's in drop c then tuned them up later, they might just snap from the sudden change?

maybe thicker ones would, or if you kept it in drop C for a really long time.

i use .11-.52, and it works well for drop C.

i also try to put the guitar in standard tuning when i'm all done just so that doesn't happen (strings snap from tuning back up).
i usually just keep one in drop c, one in standard, both with 11's cuz i'm cheap and buy sets of strings in 3 packs =P

Quote by Ninjake

they will i was in double drop d tuned up to standard and high e broke last night also has happened two or there times b4
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
it's too floppy for standard tuning..
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Man get some 11s/12s for Drop C.

... In fact get some 11s/12s anyway.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
whoever said 12s or 13s for Drop C is a moron. Those are barely manageable for C Standard, much less Drop C. Drop C means all the rest stay in E standard [A440] but the bottom C is dropped down to C. Try tuning a 12 up to a high E. I will laugh when it snaps off and stabs you in the eye for your idiocy. Go with 10s and use at least a 56 for the dropped string.

EDIT: That's what Chris Cornell did. used a 56 string to drop his Les Paul down to drop B for Rusty Cage [which I maintain will forever be one of their better songs].
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Jan 31, 2009,
^He's evidently talking about D standard with a dropped low E... I know, it's not technically drop C, but it's a mouthful to say "D standard with a dropped low E string".

So it'd be DAFCGC.

However, on-topic, I'd say that 12's or 13's would be good. My favourite gauge for D standard (pretty similar to drop C, only the low E is different) is a set of 13's, so I'd guess 13's with a thicker (.056?) low E would be ideal for drop C.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']whoever said 12s or 13s for Drop C is a moron. Those are barely manageable for C Standard, much less Drop C. Drop C means all the rest stay in E standard [A440] but the bottom C is dropped down to C. Try tuning a 12 up to a high E. I will laugh when it snaps off and stabs you in the eye for your idiocy. Go with 10s and use at least a 56 for the dropped string.

EDIT: That's what Chris Cornell did. used a 56 string to drop his Les Paul down to drop B for Rusty Cage [which I maintain will forever be one of their better songs].

you are an idiot. drop C (which is what TS is talking about) is CGCFAD, tuned down one whole step and then the lowest string is dropped down to C. Drop C is NOT CADGBE, which is what you're implying. learn more about what you're saying before you make a statement like that.

and my lowest string is 52 and it's not too floppy when it's in any C tuning.
I have Daddario jazz lights in E standard on my stratocaster.
Thats essentialy .012s with thicker wounds strings and the G string is wound as well.
If those dont break in E standard then .012 standard guitar strings certainly wont either.

Although with a shorter scaled guitar it is tight as hell.
Quote by Metallica_Man55
you are an idiot. drop C (which is what TS is talking about) is CGCFAD, tuned down one whole step and then the lowest string is dropped down to C. Drop C is NOT CADGBE, which is what you're implying. learn more about what you're saying before you make a statement like that.

and my lowest string is 52 and it's not too floppy when it's in any C tuning.

Actually if we're going to be picky about it he's right, using the technically correct nomenclature "drop C" is CADGBE and the tuning everyone calls drop C (CGCFAD) is in fact "drop D down a whole step".

The fact of the matter though is that 99% of people think of CGCFAD when you say drop C.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I use .10-.46's for Drop C and it works fine. Messed with the bridge and now it stays in tune, too.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

I wouldnt use any lower than 10-52s, I use 11-54s as a good medium gauge for drop c, still preference at the end of the day though!
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Last edited by Syn_66 at Jan 31, 2009,
That's my bad about being a dick about it >.< I probably should've made sure I was up to speed before I went off.
i use 9's and drop to c alot of times yea sometimes you can feel that its a bit floppy but definatly managable if you only have one guitar to go between standard and drop C
If you want to keep the same tension as your standard strings, go up one gauge for every step you tune down. So if 9's are your go-to strings, use 10's. Ideally, you'd use an even heavier gauge for the C string but you do what you can.

You could just use 9's but man, those things will be floppy, especially the bass. They'll tend to go out of tune more easily, doubly so if you have a heavy hand.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
I use 9's on my guitars, drop C can be done but it sounds like a fart. you're best off looking at thicker strings. if you really want thinner strings i wouldn't go lower than 11's
10-52's at the lowest, and only on a 25.5 scale. If 24.75 scale, i'd recommend 11-54's.

11's are about perfect for drop C assuming you don't have wimpy finger strength =P

And yeah, 99% of people call CGCFAD Drop C, get with the times ppl!
I've had to do it out of neccesity.
And tony iommi plays in Db standard with 9's cos of his fingers.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
0.11's or 0.12's
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
I've played Drop C with .09s.
It wasn't too floppy for me - it was very usable, but I prefer Standard tuning.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Ian hawkins
I've had to do it out of neccesity.
And tony iommi plays in Db standard with 9's cos of his fingers.

It's D# actually. Backin the day, it was C# for all his guitars. Nowadays it varies between C# and D#. Interestingly enough, before he switched to 9s, he used banjo strings
Page 1 of 2