Before i start, I would like to thank all the poeple who wrote tabs for this site, they are awesome ( :
Anyway, I started playing guitar 3 days ago, and i have some questions.

1) What can I expect to be playing in 12 months? Because my ultimate goal is to play Rise by Disturbed, but I know that it is very difficult.

2) How do I practice?
Im splitting my time between learning simple tunes (Intro for Wake me up when september ends, intro for Californication, short bits of ironman, and things like that) and learning the Chords. After 3 days, I can know do a few simple, nice sounding riffs and can switch between the C, D and G chords fairly quickly. I can also do the A and E chords but I cant switch quickly, and I am still having trouble with F. The problem is, I dont know where to go on from here. Should i keep doing what im doing, or am I learning completely wrong?

3) How long does it take for your fingers to get used to holding down the strings?
Because once my fingers get used to the guitar I currently have (Kinda old, a bit small, nylon strings) i'm going to move on to a steel-string acoustic. If i play an average of atleast an hour a day (A lot more on weekends) would I be waiting weeks or months before im ready foir steel strings?

Thanks in advance.
keep working on your basic chords and some picking...work on strumming evenly and different strumming patterns. I would build up stamina so you can play a full song with chords and not be in terrible pain. Last once you get the open chords work on some bar chords and power chords.
Your hand will adjust quickly if you keep workin on. Steel strings a lot harder but maybe first time you can only play 30 seconds of a song not in pain, then next time a little more, and so on
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"

1) What can I expect to be playing in 12 months? Because my ultimate goal is to play Rise by Disturbed, but I know that it is very difficult.

You should be able to do that in 12 months. Even less if you're really devoted.

2) How do I practice?
Im splitting my time between learning simple tunes (Intro for Wake me up when september ends, intro for Californication, short bits of ironman, and things like that) and learning the Chords. After 3 days, I can know do a few simple, nice sounding riffs and can switch between the C, D and G chords fairly quickly. I can also do the A and E chords but I cant switch quickly, and I am still having trouble with F. The problem is, I dont know where to go on from here. Should i keep doing what im doing, or am I learning completely wrong?

What you're doing is perfectly fine. Just learn your fair share of theory, and practise your finger speed and positions and move onto a bit more advanced stuff once you're up to it. Also learn a couple o' your favourite songs all the way through.
This may seem generic, but the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine is a fantastic way to build up your accuracy and alternate picking. Alternate picking is probably one of the most important skills of a guitarist.

3) How long does it take for your fingers to get used to holding down the strings?
Because once my fingers get used to the guitar I currently have (Kinda old, a bit small, nylon strings) i'm going to move on to a steel-string acoustic. If i play an average of atleast an hour a day (A lot more on weekends) would I be waiting weeks or months before im ready foir steel strings?

Personally I find Nylon Acoustics harder to play, so moving to a steel string acoustic or electric should be easier. Try a couple out though and see for yourself.

Thanks in advance.

Well hope that cleared it up.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Thanks for the help already. Im pretty good with picking, (Im learning the intro to Pretender by the Foo Fighters atm) but my strumming needs work. I cant seem to get strumming patterns from listening to songs, I someone need someone to physically show me when to do upstrokes and downstrokes and at what spped.
What do you mean by theory?
I can read TAB, and I will eventually learn to read sheet music.
I would have started of reading sheet music, but i find it incredibly frustrating, so I will learn it once I have the basics down.
And I will try Sweet Child o' mine, I love that song.
Oh, and for the Sweet Child O' Mine intro, should I bother retuning my guitar to how it says on the tab im reading, or will it sound fine on normal tuning?
Oh, and sorry for the triple post, but what do all those big E's and Q's above some Guitar Tab mean?
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Oh, and for the Sweet Child O' Mine intro, should I bother retuning my guitar to how it says on the tab im reading, or will it sound fine on normal tuning?

Retune or it won't sound quite right, it's only in Eb so it's not a drastic change from normal for you. Makes those bends a little easier too
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Oh, and sorry for the triple post, but what do all those big E's and Q's above some Guitar Tab mean?

Eighth and Quarter notes. That's how long they are.

And as for sweet child o' mine, tuning down a half step means everything your playing has been shifted by one fret. So you could play the intro one fret below what the tab says if you don't want to bother retuning.
hey i can play Rise by Disturbed. its not really that hard and ive haven't been playing that long. it just might seem hard but its not. buy the tab book. also it would help if ou got a instructor
As already posted before, learn Sweet Child with alternate picking. Aim for accuracy, no matter how slow it is. Speed will come in time. I learned it with downstrokes only and I'm having a really tough time unlearning it and playing it with alternate picking.

This site for open chords and changes. He explains things really well.
http://www.justinguitar.com/

It took about 3 weeks for my fingers to break in.
I'm a beginner so I'll put my questions here too.

I've been learning electric guitar for a month now - I can play some chords, I've 'broken' my fingers in, I can read music and tab - slowly.

Guitar seems to have its own language and the books I'm learning from don't always explain things enough. What's a riff? And what's a lick?

This stuff about palm muting. My book says 'PM is a technique where you lightly rest your right palm on the strings as you pick.' Now I can let the strings sing, or I can stop them, but so far I've not found a way to rest my hand lightly. Is there a secret to this? Is it supposed to be difficult, and I just need to practice?

My book introduces palm muting in the section about power chords. Power chords just seem to be 5ths, I get that. Is there a particular reason I would use PM with power chords or is that just the way the book is organised?

Now, the toughie. These acursed barred chords. Well, I have small hands, and I don't reckon they're physically possible for me. But I got stuck on the F, because there were songs I wanted to play that had an F in them. So I worked out how to do it just using the top 4 strings and it sounds fine to me. (First I had to use my right hand to force the finger in position, but now I can almost do it). But then other barre chords keep coming up. My question is this: do some people just avoid them because they're impossible, and get by like this, or are they really possible, I just need to learn how? Yes, yes, I know, flexibility and strength. But how? I mean, where do I start?

I do have other questions, but I think this is probably enough for a first post! And thanks to anyone who is patient enough to help me out with this.
This stuff about palm muting. My book says 'PM is a technique where you lightly rest your right palm on the strings as you pick.' Now I can let the strings sing, or I can stop them, but so far I've not found a way to rest my hand lightly. Is there a secret to this? Is it supposed to be difficult, and I just need to practice?

Put the distortion on, fret the open E power chord. With right hand, rest on the strings and down pick 4 times. This is PM'ing.
My book introduces palm muting in the section about power chords. Power chords just seem to be 5ths, I get that. Is there a particular reason I would use PM with power chords or is that just the way the book is organised?

You can palm mute anything. The book sounds rather crap.
Now, the toughie. These acursed barred chords. Well, I have small hands, and I don't reckon they're physically possible for me. But I got stuck on the F, because there were songs I wanted to play that had an F in them. So I worked out how to do it just using the top 4 strings and it sounds fine to me. (First I had to use my right hand to force the finger in position, but now I can almost do it). But then other barre chords keep coming up. My question is this: do some people just avoid them because they're impossible, and get by like this, or are they really possible, I just need to learn how? Yes, yes, I know, flexibility and strength. But how? I mean, where do I start?

Unless you've got real small hands they're entirely possible.
You just have to keep trying to get your hand into position and play them. Only playing them will make them easier. The more and more you do it the easier it will get. Try putting the 'barre' finger down on it's own at first, and then try adding the other fingers.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Put the distortion on, fret the open E power chord. With right hand, rest on the strings and down pick 4 times. This is PM'ing.

Right, so I plug into my amp. Distortion - is that where it says tremolo and delay and stuff? Really, I don't know anything about amps. I just had a go and all I could get was like a drum beat. Is that it? I need to try when the kids aren't in bed and I can make noise!

You can palm mute anything. The book sounds rather crap.

It's a beginners book for kids. It's been quite useful. But I'm finding it difficult to get any book that's the right level. I'm open to suggestions.

Unless you've got real small hands they're entirely possible.
You just have to keep trying to get your hand into position and play them. Only playing them will make them easier. The more and more you do it the easier it will get. Try putting the 'barre' finger down on it's own at first, and then try adding the other fingers.

OK, so I just do the barre finger first. If I use it side-on, where the bone is, I can stop the strings fine. Trouble is, in that position, I can't imagine using any of my other fingers. If I bring my hand round, then I'm using the fleshy bit of my finger and I can't stop diddly squat. What should I be aiming to use, the boney bit, the fleshy bit, or somewhere in between?

Thanks for your help!
Quote by smittenj
Right, so I plug into my amp. Distortion - is that where it says tremolo and delay and stuff? Really, I don't know anything about amps. I just had a go and all I could get was like a drum beat. Is that it? I need to try when the kids aren't in bed and I can make noise!

It's a beginners book for kids. It's been quite useful. But I'm finding it difficult to get any book that's the right level. I'm open to suggestions.

OK, so I just do the barre finger first. If I use it side-on, where the bone is, I can stop the strings fine. Trouble is, in that position, I can't imagine using any of my other fingers. If I bring my hand round, then I'm using the fleshy bit of my finger and I can't stop diddly squat. What should I be aiming to use, the boney bit, the fleshy bit, or somewhere in between?

Thanks for your help!

Distortion is the channel that makes everything sound electric. I don't know how to describe it better!

With barring, i'd say using somewhere inbetween the boney and fleshy bits is the best option. Just get used to how it feels. Then try and slowly add a finger at a time making sure it's all smooth and clean. I'd recomment checking out Freepower's stickied thread in the 'Musician Talk' forum!
Quote by Ikonoklast
Distortion is the channel that makes everything sound electric. I don't know how to describe it better!

Got it! You just need to really turn it up. OK, now I know what it is, there are probably more important things for me to master first.

With barring, i'd say using somewhere inbetween the boney and fleshy bits is the best option. Just get used to how it feels.

Copy that. Feels wierd. Will keep going.

I'd recomment checking out Freepower's stickied thread in the 'Musician Talk' forum!

You mean the bit about modes? Don't know, I have theory coming out my ears, but need the practical skills first. Are modes important? I've been playing for a month.
What your doing is fine, just try to get your fingers calloused enough, then you can start with barre chords and power chords. I recommend learning some Metallica for powerchords. Such as "Enter The Sandman" and "Fade To Black"
Quote by IndianRockStar
EXACTLY!!! We should join together to form a vendetta against vocalists. Or trianglists.

Let's get em lol.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
You mean the bit about modes? Don't know, I have theory coming out my ears, but need the practical skills first. Are modes important? I've been playing for a month.

Ah! No, he means the one in Advanced Techniques - all the info I have up on the web can be found in my sig.
The heavier you want a palm mute to sound, move your palm closer to the bridge.
Thanks tenfold, will bear that in mind.

Freepower - got it! You talk my language. The thing is, I get a book that starts out fine, and then just leaves me completely high and dry with something really difficult. And this place is just, well, overwhelming. Will go through your sticky at my leisure, thanks.