Ok, so I have a need for my first ever half-stack to start playing shows. I've got $700-$800 to spend and have looked around a bit and found these options.

I was wondering which of these you guys would choose or if you would pick something else entirely. I'm going for a punchy almost jazzy tone but I do play a 5-string. Any advice is welcome.

Carvin SBR410
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBR410

Carvin SBX210
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBX210

GK Goldline
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Goldline-500-Bass-Head-and-4x10-Bass-Cabinet-Package?sku=483504

I know the only difference in the Carvins is 2 speakers and neodymium speakers so I wasn't sure whether the neos would be worth the price difference.

Sorry about the length, I hope you guys have some suggestions.

Syris
if you go Carvin, the 410 is really, really worth the extra. from what I hear anyways...
and that GK is really nice, a little bit punchy, and quite clear.

if it helps, I am looking to purchase a Carvin SBR410 myself.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
That GK is a good option I'd think, they make good stuff for the most part, with a pretty decent range of sounds. I haven't played through the Goldline amp though, so I can't really vouch for it one way or the other.

My recommendation would be this: http://www.zzounds.com/item--HTKVX3500

I have the same head and same model cab, but in an 8x10 format, and with some tweaking of the 10 band EQ (which is a feature I really like about the Hartkes) I can get a whole lot of punch from my rig.

I do agree with humanity though, if you do decide to go with the carvin, wait a bit and get the 4x10, you won't regret it. The extra 2 speakers really help a lot in moving that air, and also make your rig look better, not like some little dinky combo in the corner lol.

As far as the neo magnets are concerned: I don't really know too much about them other than that they're supposed to be much more powerful per pound of magnet, so they can save weight and increase power handling from your cab, or so I've heard anyways, I could be wrong.
Get the SBR410.
Its the cheapest you listed.

Plus those cabs are rated at 800w at 8 ohm... that's overkill for the head.
The head goes down to 2 ohm, which is nice.
Because most people can never try Carvin amps out.
They add A LOT of functions to get the sound you want.
I mean look at the EQ and extra knobs.

So when you decide to get a new head, a really powerful one, you will have a cab that can handle it.
i looked at that carvin head for ages. i think it'd be pretty versatile. I think they have a 10 day return period so if your willing to risk shipping costs you have the ability to send it back if you don't like it.

Quote by gwath42
Get the SBR410.
Its the cheapest you listed.

Plus those cabs are rated at 800w at 8 ohm... that's overkill for the head.
The head goes down to 2 ohm, which is nice.
Because most people can never try Carvin amps out.
They add A LOT of functions to get the sound you want.
I mean look at the EQ and extra knobs.

So when you decide to get a new head, a really powerful one, you will have a cab that can handle it.

The head is 800 watts at 8ohms bridged so he could get the whole 800 watts to the speaker cab.

actually that seems to be a typo. it would get 550 watts which is within reason for the cab.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Jan 31, 2009,
If you get a BX600 head and a 4 ohm cab you still have the ability to add another 4 ohm cab later, most heads don't go down to 2 ohms.

I have a BR610 combo (pre-neo) and I REALLY REALLY like the head, but the 2x10 speaker configuration lacks a lot of bottom end. I assume the neo will be better, but I dunno it it will be enough. Saying that, the specs SAY it goes lower than the 4x10. But the 4x10 will be about 3 times louder, if not more.

EDIT: Look at Avatar cabs.
I got to play the GK through an 8x10 at GC

Yes, I go to GC.
Yes, I'm ashamed of it.

Anyways, it sounds pretty friggin good for any sort of straight-forward bass playing especially rock

I'm just not sure about the gain feature..the G.I.V.E technology thing
sure the valves sound good for that old classic rock sound
but it just seems like theres too damn much of it and most of anyone's playing would be below 40-50% of the gain setting.

If anyone that owns it's found this different I'd love to know
I'm still getting it one way or another, it impressed the hell outa me.