So, Ive really wanted to get a My Bloody Valentine tone for a while now, and I think Ive decided on two thinks to get me a good way there. One of the things I was thinking about getting was a Boss Heavy Metal (for distortion, I hear that this can be good for the heavier shoegaze tones). The other was a reverse delay, but I dont know where to get one of those. Any comments on the distortion or ideas on reverse delay, or even any other suggestions?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
First thing's first, to get their tone you have to slit your wrists a little and cry a river onto your guitar!..

I kid, I kid, sorry haven't heard their music, don't even know what style they are (joke above assumed emo..).
I just couldn't resist.

Oh, put your flame shield on if you really want that boss metal pedal.
After listening to a few songs I found on the web, seems like what you want is a high gain marshall type tone.
Last edited by _Sanitarium_ at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by nightraven
could not be more wrong

I know, I stand corrected. Looked them up and they're a very interesting sounding band.
Not my style though. Oh, original post edited btw.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
First thing's first, to get their tone you have to slit your wrists a little and cry a river onto your guitar!..

I kid, I kid, sorry haven't heard their music, don't even know what style they are (joke above assumed emo..).
I just couldn't resist.

Oh, put your flame shield on if you really want that boss metal pedal.
After listening to a few songs I found on the web, seems like what you want is a high gain marshall type tone.

EDIT:^ I take back half my facepalm But still

And yeah, basically what Nightraven said - experimenting is the way forward really!
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Last edited by cmakkidguitar at Jan 31, 2009,
I have no clue what Kevin Shields runs for amps in studio, but live he and Belinda used Marshal JCM900s and ran ADA MP-1 preamps in case they had to use backline or rental gear. I believe the old Boss HM-2 was pretty important for the heavier sounds, and I'd assume using a Big Muff would also help for fuzzier stuff. Probably the most important effect is his reverse reverb, courtesy of a Yamaha SPX-90, which is an old rack unit.

If you want, check out the Gear for Post Rock thread, there have been quite a few inquires about the MBV sound in there with some good answers.
Before you do anything, you have to be able to play at irresponsible volumes.
whatever pedal you use, whatever gear you use make sure its LOUD.

Big Muff is always a good choice.

Reverb wise, the new Digitech Hardwire RV-7 would be a good choice. I've only heard good things about it and it has a reverse reverb setting.
Last edited by Miss G at Jan 31, 2009,