Guy on Craigslist is offering to trade me his ESP Standard Viper for my Ibanez RG3120 Prestige.

I love the Ibanez, but I don't play it much anymore because it's stuck in one tuning all the time and I'm too lazy to set it up for something else when I can just grab another guitar.

What I like about the ESP:

Ebony Fretboard
It's an ESP
24 Frets
SG Shape (I love SGs)

What I don't like:

EMGs (However, ESPs I've had before with EMGs sounded great, so this might not be a problem)

I was only planning on trading my Ibanez for a Music Man or a Carvin, but I sold all my SGs and this offer intrigues me

So... what do you guys think? I'm obviously going to try it before hand, but I don't want to have the guy come out here for nothing if I'm not even going to be getting a decent trade on it at least.

What would you do?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
No
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Quote by H_ngm_n
No

Why not? At least give a reason
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Play it!

If you like it, do it!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
i say yes..mainly due to me prefering the feel of an ESP..
its nice..seriously nice.
i doubt you would want to trade back..
just dont get scammed
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
You're question is too subjective for you to ask on a forum...

If you want to, do it...if not, then don't...

Everyone likes different body shapes and whatnot, but ultimately it's only an instrument and if you like it, then you like it...end of story...

Personally though, I hate the viper body...

-TFA
Quote by TyrsFromAbove37
You're question is too subjective for you to ask on a forum...

No it's not, I'm not asking whether you think I'M going to like it, I'm asking if it was someone else in my shoes, whether they'd trade or not and why. Just want to know other's feelings on the guitar as I've never played a Viper before, only the Eclipses and Superstrat bodies.

Really, the feel of the neck isn't too big of an issue for me, I can use the super thin Ibanez necks as well as Les Paul boat necks, obviously if it's not huge that'd be good as I'll most likely use the Viper for more lead playing than my Edwards.

What I'm mostly concerned with is which one is going to sound better.

Like I said, I will most likely try the Viper out, but he lives quite a ways from me, so I'd like to save us both the trouble if I can decide I don't want it before hand
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I personally wouldn't,since I've seen and played that model Ibanez and it's a spectacular instrument.I also prefer Ibanez guitars over ESP,so there is some ingrained bias in that opinion.Doesn't that model have DiMarzio pups (Tone zone/true velvet/air norton?) in it?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I personally wouldn't,since I've seen and played that model Ibanez and it's a spectacular instrument.I also prefer Ibanez guitars over ESP,so there is some ingrained bias in that opinion.Doesn't that model have DiMarzio pups (Tone zone/true velvet/air norton?) in it?

The RG3120 has a Tone Zone and PAF Pro in it

I agree, it's a great guitar, and is by far the best Ibanez I've played, but since I rarely use it anymore, that's the only reason I'm really considering the Viper.

I did buy a Tremol-No for it though, haven't installed it yet
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i'd be so jealous if you made that trade. i wish i had the money for a viper standard when i was looking at new guitars last year. i settled on the viper 400 and it's ace to say the least.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by MatrixClaw
The RG3120 has a Tone Zone and PAF Pro in it

I agree, it's a great guitar, and is by far the best Ibanez I've played, but since I rarely use it anymore, that's the only reason I'm really considering the Viper.

I did buy a Tremol-No for it though, haven't installed it yet

I got it's pups confused for some of the J Custom models I believe

I'd just block the trem and keep it,but if you honestly don't see yourself using it in the future then trading it would make sense.I just prefer the Ibanez neck + DiMarzio combo over the ESP neck and the EMG set,plus the Ibanez is one great looking instrument.It's a tough choice,both are high quality MIJ instruments,but the RG has a leg up in looks and versatility IMO.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

never tried a viper... they look terrible imo though

no idea to be honest... good luck
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Pr0gNut
I'd just block the trem and keep it,but if you honestly don't see yourself using it in the future then trading it would make sense.I just prefer the Ibanez neck + DiMarzio combo over the ESP neck and the EMG set,plus the Ibanez is one great looking instrument.It's a tough choice,both are high quality MIJ instruments,but the RG has a leg up in looks and versatility IMO.

I really like the ESP necks, I don't need it super thin cause I don't play a lot of lead really. The Ibanez sounds great for lead, but for rhythm, it lacks a little umph

I wouldn't doubt it'd be a lot less versatile though, but I also have an Edwards Les Paul which, doesn't have as good of cleans as my Ibanez, but other than that is easily as versatile and is the guitar I use 99% of the time now anyway.

Think I'll put the Tremol-No in it today and see how I like it afterward, if it's still not really doin it for me, I'll try the Viper out

Quote by Dave_Mc
never tried a viper... they look terrible imo though

Yeah, they are a little different compared to an SG...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah. i'm not all that fussed on the looks of SGs either (i like them in spite of their looks), but they're 10 times nicer than the vipers, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah. i'm not all that fussed on the looks of SGs either (i like them in spite of their looks), but they're 10 times nicer than the vipers, lol.

Yeah, I traded my SG Standard back with the guy I originally traded with cause he wasn't digging the Strat, traded the Strat back for my EC-1000 and then traded the EC-1000 for my RR5.

I wish I still had the SG though, that guitar was awesome
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
haha, that's getting confusing!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
haha, that's getting confusing!

Very!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Any other thoughts?

Hopefully someone who's actually played the Viper?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've played the Viper model. If you dig the SG type of shape, and don't have a problem with the thin-u necks, then you'll probably love it. Of course, I guess you could say I'm bias'd because I own an Eclipse, but the Viper is awesome IMO.
Quote by caraluzzo
I've played the Viper model. If you dig the SG type of shape, and don't have a problem with the thin-u necks, then you'll probably love it. Of course, I guess you could say I'm bias'd because I own an Eclipse, but the Viper is awesome IMO.

Sweet!

Yeah I used to own one, but then I got an Edwards, and I like it better for what I use it for
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sell it, save for a Custom Carvin.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sweet!

Yeah I used to own one, but then I got an Edwards, and I like it better for what I use it for

Well yea, if your talking about the Edwards LP than it's much thicker then the Viper. If you don't want to bother with a trem for changing tunings, you like the neck, and the shape is comfortable than I'd be all over that. As I said before, I guess I'm biased because I have the Eclipse, but they're well built, good sounding instruments.
Quote by Snake™
Sell it, save for a Custom Carvin.

The Carvin I'd buy would cost me $1700, I'd have to save about $1000, I'd probably just end up spending it on an amp if I sold it

Quote by caraluzzo
Well yea, if your talking about the Edwards LP than it's much thicker then the Viper. If you don't want to bother with a trem for changing tunings, you like the neck, and the shape is comfortable than I'd be all over that. As I said before, I guess I'm biased because I have the Eclipse, but they're well built, good sounding instruments.

For sure, I love ESPs and Japanese guitars in general. For the price, you get an awesome sounding and playing guitar that easily rivals USA guitars that are 2 - 3 times their price
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have heard that Ibanez Prestiges have some amazing necks and are good enough to be a match for the ESP.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by breakstuff
I have heard that Ibanez Prestiges have some amazing necks and are good enough to be a match for the ESP.

For sure, I'm not doubting my Ibanez isn't on par with the ESP, I just want to know the opinions of some people who have tried the ESP
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Do It Now!

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Ibanez sucks

ESP's are the best
gear
[="======================"]
ESP-LTD EX400 (black)
ESP-LTD Truckster (primer)
ESP-LTD MX130 (black)
Boss MT-2
Crate GX-60c [stock chorus/reverb]
Quote by .:st.anger:.
Ibanez sucks

ESP's are the best

You don't even own an ESP...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ oooooooooooooooooooooooo
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MatrixClaw
You don't even own an ESP...

Freshly baked E-Cookies for you Sir.

The mindless brand fapping on UG takes a tole on all of us.

Have you blocked off the trem on the Ibby yet? I'm interested in the results since I may do the same with one of mine.

Quote by The red Strat.
he kinda owns 2

nah, he owns two LTDs. not really gonna tell you what the ESPs are really like as they'll be built in different factories in different countries etc. etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Sorry, I had to.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Have you blocked off the trem on the Ibby yet? I'm interested in the results since I may do the same with one of mine.

I've had the Tremol-No since Friday but I'm kind of intimidated by it and the fact that I have to take apart my trem to stick it on there, and I hate having to set it up again

I might stick it in Wednesday since I really don't have anything better to do.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
No, because you'll still be GASing for a Music Man/Carvin.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
No, because you'll still be GASing for a Music Man/Carvin.

I'm actually not GASing for either, I just figured I don't use the guitar all too much anymore, so if I had to choose something to trade it for, it'd be a Music Man or Carvin, because I'd probably get more use out of them. But then someone had to go and screw up what I was thinking by offering me a Viper

Really what I'm GASing for is a PRS, but it's hard to find someone local who has one I like, let alone want to trade it for two guitars
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Sorry, I had to.

to be fair, he deserved it. blanket statements don't help anyone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
nah, he owns two LTDs. not really gonna tell you what the ESPs are really like as they'll be built in different factories in different countries etc. etc.

ah, i thought it was going to be something like that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?