I really need help picking the right amp, and I only have $700. It has to be a tube amp, with lots of headroom, LOUD AND CLEAN, thick, but with enough breakup, something like a Hiwatt (way too much $$$ for me right now). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Nick
Sorry about that, I play mostly classic rock and some blues, love the Who. The amps gotta be pretty loud for gigs and such

I could probably go up to $800
Last edited by nickstrobaugh at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by noddy-whack
stack or combo?

Either one, just has to be loud enough to play at small gigs, clubs, etc.
try and find a used fender twin reverb or a used vox AC30 both classic amps and amazing sounding plus theyre loud enough to gig with
Quote by noddy-whack
try and find a used fender twin reverb or a used vox AC30 both classic amps and amazing sounding plus theyre loud enough to gig with

Ok thanks, how would they sound with a Gibson SG with P-90 pickups?
Quote by nickstrobaugh
Ok thanks, how would they sound with a Gibson SG with P-90 pickups?

the vox would probably sound nothing short of fantastic, although i've heard those pickups are pretty trebly, and the amp is pretty trebly too so that might create issues

the fender would be awesome, but its more for cleans, you'd need an overdrive pedal to really get it going
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
cant recomend the vox, i've never played them, im thinking a silverface twin reverb or a silverface bassman? bassman has a nicer breakup, but the twin has loads more headroom, ok, you have sujestions, go out and play the damn things
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
cant recomend the vox, i've never played them, im thinking a silverface twin reverb or a silverface bassman? bassman has a nicer breakup, but the twin has loads more headroom, ok, you have sujestions, go out and play the damn things [/QUOTE

Cant, car's not working, otherwise Id be at Guitar Center right now testing them out. That's why im on here asking you guys

There really isn't any amp that sounds like a Hiwatt, except a Hiwatt? Thanks for all the suggestions!