Its basically a B Major scale B c# d# E F# g# a# b. But with the tonic starting on F#.

So: F# g# a# B C# d# e F#. I'm guessing it's a F# Maj with a flat 7 but what's it called?
If you play the notes of B major but starting on F# you get F# mixolydian, which you can think of as an F# major scale with a minor 7th.

the step of the scale you start on determins which mode you are playing;

1-ionian
2-dorian
3-phrygian
4-lydian
5-mixolydian
6-Aeolian
7-locrian

these only apply if you are playoing over a progression which has the same tonic note. if you play F# mixolydian over a B major chord, you are playing B major.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jan 31, 2009,
Thanks! Now one last question: can modes be thought of as keys as well. If I have a chord progression based on this scale would it be the "key" of F# mixolydian?
Yes you can. although you dont really say your in the key of "F# mixolydian, you would probably just call it F#major. Theres a link in someones sig on this forum that teaches you how to make modal progressions.

Check this video out for tips on using modes and learning them.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQolymKmDA

be sure to check out part 2 aswell.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by ErikHysterik
Thanks! Now one last question: can modes be thought of as keys as well. If I have a chord progression based on this scale would it be the "key" of F# mixolydian?

Yes. You must be careful to keep F# as the tonic though. A progression like F# major - B major sounds like V - I in B major. Modes tend to revert towards the more natural scales if you throw too many different chords in.
Is F# actually the tonic, or are you just starting on F#?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Is F# actually the tonic, or are you just starting on F#?

For a scale like that one they're the same (assuming it was a scale because he asked what scale it was).

Edit:
Forget this, it's not a scale.
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Jan 31, 2009,
"Is F# actually the tonic, or are you just starting on F#?"

The chord progression starts on the F#maj, but it definitely feels like it resolves to that rather than the B. Here's the kicker though there's a C#maj chord also. The progression is basically this F# C# E B F# (verse) F# B D#m B (chorus).
Last edited by ErikHysterik at Jan 31, 2009,