So I currently have an EMG 85/SA combo in one of my guitars. It's a great pickup for rythem, but it's not exactly how I'd like it to be for lead playing. The guitar is mahogany with a bolt on hard maple neck. I'm getting plenty of low end with the 85, but not enough highs. The guitar itself is known to have alot of lows & mids, and I've been trying to figure out if an 81 would help balance things out. I have a spare 81 here, and it'd be a quick swap with the quick-connect, but I'd rather hear somebody elses opinion on doing so before I go ahead and start messing with it. Either way, the pickups will be temporary, because I'm not a fan of EMG's, and I'll be switching them out in a few months once I get some other stuff done to my rig.. but I'm trying to get things the best I can until then.

Anyone have any insight on what I should probably do?
i personally hated the 85 in the bridge, way too boomy and muddy for me. the 81 on the other hand i find is too quacky and compressed at times. 81 for the bridge for me though.

i wish passive pickups were as silent (buzz/hum wise) as emgs. partially the reason i can't stray away from my 81, it's just so darn quiet.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
if you've got a spare 81 lying around put it in the bridge position and it will make your guitar better sounding for lead guitar
Quote by mikeyElite
i personally hated the 85 in the bridge, way too boomy and muddy for me. the 81 on the other hand i find is too quacky and compressed at times. 81 for the bridge for me though.

i wish passive pickups were as silent (buzz/hum wise) as emgs. partially the reason i can't stray away from my 81, it's just so darn quiet.

I've played very few passives that were louder than EMG's. My problem is, the guitar I have these in at the moment is my Caparison Horus. The guitars have alot of low and mid end to them, and since the 85 in the bridge also has alot of lows and mids, it seams to be a little over-board. I know the 81 has more highs, because I have one in the bridge of my ESP Eclipse, but I'm not sure if the 81 in the Horus is going to leave me lacking low end. Of course though, my ESP is mahogany body, mahogany neck with a maple cap, and the Horus is a mahogany body with bolt-maple neck with direct mounted pickups, so I'm unable to go off of what I get from the ESP.

I figured I'd ask here because I do have a spare 81 laying here, but I don't want to go through the trouble of changing them if I'm going to be left disspointed. I understand that the only way I'm going to find out exactly how it sounds is if I go ahead and do it, but I'd like to hear some insight from others before I do so.
Im kinda impartial to the covered humbucker setup
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
You might already have it set fine, but many people forget that when using active pickups, the most important part of your rig is your EQ. Active pickups effectly have no tonal characteristics of their own so they depend on your setting your EQ properly to get anything pleasing out of them.

And this is assuming you're using them with a suitable amp. Many, many amps aren't even suitable for active pickup use anyway, which will also lead to awful tone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.