I bought my bass used with flatwound strings on it and the salesman said for rock i would have to switch to roundwound strings to get a better sound. i was playing rock with those strings for 6 months then i decided to get new roundwound strings now that i got them i dont like them at all and i dont like the sound. my question is wil the new strings eventually start sounding better or will they sound the same as they were new?
yeah, you need to let them settle in. the "tinny" sound will die down after ~a fortnight at most.
Or maybe you just prefer flatwounds, and therefore should stick with them. Steve Harris uses flatwounds on a fretted bass and many people love his tone. There's no such thing as a "best" string choice for a genre- it's all about finding your own tone.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Or maybe you just prefer flatwounds, and therefore should stick with them. Steve Harris uses flatwounds on a fretted bass and many people love his tone. There's no such thing as a "best" string choice for a genre- it's all about finding your own tone.
^Agreed
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
I like the sound of dead roundwound strings, but am not so hot for flatwound strings, so when I replace the strings on my basses (once in a blue moon) I rub handcream into the strings to kill off the tinny high end. And I love the sound they make.

Apparently Elixir make coated roundwound strings that sound worn in, but I haven't tried them, so someone else will need to verify that...
never used flat...id love to try em tho
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!