hello guys im finding a 25 ohm rheostat but its like finding a needle in a haystack :O can i get a linear or some other type of pot to replace it? i live in canada
If it's just for a volume or tone knob or something, just get a 25 K ohm audio or linear pot..
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
need it for a little gem amp. its used as a volume knob.

note - its just 25 ohms not 25 k btw.
Quote by Axecutioner
I'm pretty sure the 25 ohm rheostats are standard stock at most radio shacks

i live in canada radio shacks have been manipulated to "the source", which sells less circuit components
Quote by Luxifer
i live in canada radio shacks have been manipulated to "the source", which sells less circuit components

Ya man, I remember when our radio shacks used to be good...
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
so my main question is - can a 25 ohm rheostat be replaced by some kind of other pot?
The big problem with swapping out a rheostat for a regular pot is power rating. Most pots are designed to handle more than a watt or so whereas rheostats handle a great deal more. For example, there are rheostats that control attenuation in my power attenuator. If I were to replace them with standard pots, instant overload of power and blown circuitry would result. In theory, they are almost identical though.
I'm almost positive I've seen a 25 ohm rheostat at the source (I'm in canada, too..)

if not, get a 25k pot, and put a 22 or 27 ohm resistor is parallel with it, you'll get close to 22 or 27 ohms on the pot.

short of finding a proper rheostat, and assuming the power rating is suitable, I think that'd be one of your best options..
Quote by Luxifer
i cant find the wattage rating...

http://runoffgroove.com/littlegem.html

it only says that its a 25 ohm rheostat for volume control.

Seeing as the amp's output is only 1/2 or 1W, I'd say the 12.5W rated rheostat would be sufficient. Need someone else to back this up though.
Quote by a_man
Seeing as the amp's output is only 1/2 or 1W, I'd say the 12.5W rated rheostat would be sufficient. Need someone else to back this up though.

Concur. Get the 12.5watt.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial