Hey guys, i've been browsing new basses on the internet and keep coming across basses with Active EQ / Active P-Ups / Active electronics.

I've heard about these before but have no idea what difference it makes in comparison with passives..

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks guys
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
active has a battery in the pick up/s.
EDIT: i wasn't sure of the difference myself, so i checked wikipedia,
"The main advantages of active pickups are that they can be louder than a similar grade passive pickup. They also allow more "headroom" and dynamic range. Active pickups produce less noise and hum compared to their passive counterparts "
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by moody git
active has a battery in the pick up/s.
EDIT: i wasn't sure of the difference myself, so i checked wikipedia,

sorry guys, forgot to google and wiki
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Active basses usually have a more hi-fi sound
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Not really, active bass's can consist of these two things or have one and something else, a preamp and active pickups. An active rpeamp generally has volume, blend or second vloume, bass, treble, and mids. This makes the bass much more versatile as you can dial in more tones. Also a passive\active switch is pften included, so you can bypass the active preamp. They eithier run of 9v or 18v.

Active pickups are just extra hot pickups which are also connected to a battery.

Preamps can be connected to eithier passive or active pickups it comes down to personnal preference.

This defiantly does not make your bass mpore hi-fi, it just means you can dial in a hi-fi sound or an old-school rock etc.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Active pickups are just extra hot pickups which are also connected to a battery.

Preamps can be connected to eithier passive or active pickups it comes down to personnal preference.

Active pickups are very low output pickups with a battery to put them at the correct output to make a sound.

Some preamps can only be fitted to passive pickups due to resistance issues. Others work fine with both.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
if your looking to purchase one i would deffently say to get a LTD, i have one and enjoy greatly
fatgoogle is correct.

My bass has an active preamp and passive pickups. The active preamp give me the ability to massively shape my tone. I can get almost any tone I want, and it really does come in handy. For all the songs I play I am able to (on my bass) change my tone to fit the song I am playing at the drop of a hat. The passive pickups are great and I have never had a disadvantage to using them (especially with the active preamp)
I'm pretty sure using an active EQ affects the other bands. If you boost the mids, for example, doesn't it lower the bass and treble?