I'm about to buy this guitar, but there is a noticeable crack near the neck pocket. The guitar isn't much, but i wonder how much work this will entail. or should it even be a problem. I haven't seen how deep the crack really is.
That's a pretty bad looking guitar regarldess of the crack...

It looks to be only in the paint, but it may go deeper...

Take the neck off and check.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Its just a crack in paint nothing worng with it maybe overtighned screws in the neck plate
=========

Nathnialm

====
probably just paint fairly common in ibanez s
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by Albino_Rhino

well
i have to drive about 30-40 minutes to go get it. I would love to do that, but the guy who im buying it from his not guitar savvy.

What im really asking
is do you think its fixable?

i mean, im not paying that much at all for it, and i'd be getting a neck which would cost me about to same amount for the price of the whole guitar.

edit: He also said this

"The turnbuckles on top are too loose to hold the strings tight enough to be in tune. The top nut seems fine, all the frets seem fine. there is no noticable play between the neck and the body despite the crack you can see in the pictures... I suspect if everything else was perfect and you bent it at the neck you would hear a change, but like i said it isnt noticable to the human eye as is."
Last edited by TheElement0f0ne at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by El Maurizio
is that a firebird? what are you paying for it?

its a Explorer copy,
i'm paying 30$ (hopefully, he wants 50, and ill budge just b/c i need another project gutiar) for it. It has built in effects which im going to toss, pickups which im probably going to toss, and good bridge and tuners. so its just something im picking up to repaint and make a project out of.
Unscrew the damn neck and look for cracks inside the neck pocket. Then you could rule out if it's only in the paint or if it's worse. Cracks like that in the paint are really usual on old guitars. The color and the clear weren't given enough time to cure. Even my RG has cracks like that, and it plays like a dream. But you know, remove the neck and examine.
Guitars:
Ibanez IC400BK
Ibanez RG550BK

Amplifiers:
ENGL Screamer 50 Combo
Quote by Albino_Rhino

This.