i have $300 dollars. looking for an beginner-intermediate level practice(plus a bit of performance) tube amp. not looking for a fricking modeling+tube amp like those vox valvetronix or the peavey vypyrs. just want a nice solid(not solid state) tube amp. 3-band eq, pre amp vol, master vol are musts. reverb would be nice but not essential. 15w should be enough i think... so any suggestions?

thanks guys. thank you for not ignoring another "new amp" question
yeah..your not going to have too much luck in that price range. save up a little more and maybe get that Ephiphone valve jr? either way..what type of music do you play?
Uhhh....I do to. For 300 bucks you have a very limited selection. A Peavey Windsor is the only one that works for that price, but for the most part they suck balls. I would save 200 more and get a Vox AC-15.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Quote by HIM%(^
yeah..your not going to have too much luck in that price range. save up a little more and maybe get that Ephiphone valve jr? either way..what type of music do you play?

The Valve Jr. has one knob and is already under 300 bucks.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Quote by SG6578
The Valve Jr. has one knob and is already under 300 bucks.

ok then sorry for my misinformation. i try to avoid cheap sounding tube amps.
What music do you play and what's your location?

If you want new...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/tube-guitar-combo-amps?N=100001+338503+8 but none of the amps there will do more than classic rock OD.

If you're willing to buy used, tell us where you live and our Craigslist masters will find you a deal.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
You will probably have to save more

I would reccommend either

a peavey classic 30 (mine was 500+ shipping and it's custom covered from the custom shop)
or
An orange tiny terror (no 3 band eq though)

look on ebay.

The Blackheart handsome devil would probably be good for you, but i have never played one.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by HIM%(^

70-80s rock style - zeppelin, GNR, the darkness (the bestest undiscovered band ever), journey, the typical songs of ozzy.
some blues, tiny bit of metal, and some pop like faber drive and hedley, stuff like that.

basically i need a good overdrive tone. i could probably use a pedal infront of it to get it into higher gain settings but yeah. something that sounds like a marshall.

EDIT - i could probably squeeze out like... about $100 more. so about $400? you know what, expect me to have $500. yeah $500. ill see where that gets me and then ill decide...

i tried the blackheart amps.. they sound thin and ... blah, BUT THATS JUST ME. thanks for suggesting tho

regarding craigslist - i have nothing against it but my parents like to ONLY SELL on it, even though they have never done so. for some reason they dont like buying off of craigslist and therefore will not let me

note - im also not allowed to buy online becasue of stuff like "identity theft".
Last edited by Luxifer at Jan 31, 2009,
Do you have a good local music store to try amps at?

For 500 bucks look at the peavey classic 30 (you should be able to find one somewhere for 500) the vox ac15 and the orange tiny terror

Edit:
No buying online or on craigs list that will probably make things a little more expensive.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Last edited by tomguitarworshi at Jan 31, 2009,
Peavey Windsor stack. $400, and voiced like a Marshall. Only problem is that it has no cleans at all, and that a 100w stack is sh*t loud. But it's a great deal if you can afford it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by tomguitarworshi
Do you have a good local music store to try amps at?

yes i live in toronto, canada. i got like 3 nearby long and mcquades and 1 cosmo music, if you know canadian stores . long and mcquade sells for less than cosmo but cosmo is a better place to test amps. they both have pretty good selections.
In toronto? go to steve's music!! They carry orange and peavey and are a great store(at least the one in ottawa is).

I don't remember if they carry vox but an ac 15 is worth trying to track down and try.

Are you buying in canadian dollars?
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by tomguitarworshi
In toronto? go to steve's music!! They carry orange and peavey and are a great store(at least the one in ottawa is).

I don't remember if they carry vox but an ac 15 is worth trying to track down and try.

Are you buying in canadian dollars?

lol never been to steve's music... would like to but i heard from my family musician members its a snobby place, meaning they would like ignore a "kid" like me long and mcquade and cosmo carries orange to so i wouldnt fret about it.

yes buying in canadian.
Definetly the steve's in ottawa is great, and was fine with me even though i'm a "kid"

Also buying in canadian will make your budget go even less far

I've seen vox AC 15s around toronto (actually in barrie) that you could probably get for 500 canadian.

That's probably your best bet.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
used peavey classic 30s run about 300 used on craigslist
my gear:
Epiphone LP standard
roland microcube
the Vox ac 15 sounds... too trebly. mind you i have only heard the ac15 on the internet tho. theres like no bass. i want a heavier sound. what does GAS money mean?

if YOU had $500, how would you spend it? on guitar stuff. not limited to amps.
Quote by Luxifer
what does GAS money mean?

GAS is Gear Acquisition Syndrome. When you see/hear a guitar,amp,effect ect. that you want. so gas money= money for gear you're GASsing for
Keeping it real since '92
BLUES JR!!!! its the perfect amp for you! its over your range but save up for it and I guarentee you wont be dissapointed. Also if you can try out the NOS tweed blues Jr, I have it and love it.

edit: I just saw the type of music you play and this amp caant really do metal-ish tones. Its beautiful for blues, jazz and that type of stuff but try before you buy to make sure it suits your needs.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Last edited by MOOSE_CCR99 at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
BLUES JR!!!! its the perfect amp for you! its over your range but save up for it and I guarentee you wont be dissapointed. Also if you can try out the NOS tweed blues Jr, I have it and love it.

edit: I just saw the type of music you play and this amp caant really do metal-ish tones. Its beautiful for blues, jazz and that type of stuff but try before you buy to make sure it suits your needs.

it can still do rock right? like crunch? i dont mind putting a pedal in front of it

thanks for the reply.
Ummm, hard to say from my experience. I rarely play rock/ heavy stuff but when I was playing through my blues driver to the amp (its not the best pedal mind you) and it was very muddy. With the preamp pushed you can get a very nice overdrive but I dont know if its as heavy as you like it. The only thing I can tell you is to test the amp with a pedal at the store to see if it suits your needs.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by Luxifer

regarding craigslist - i have nothing against it but my parents like to ONLY SELL on it, even though they have never done so. for some reason they dont like buying off of craigslist and therefore will not let me

note - im also not allowed to buy online becasue of stuff like "identity theft".

Then explain to your parents that they can just spend 40% more due to their inability to keep up with the times. I have purchased a Blues Jr, $300, Delta Blues $325, H&K Edition Tube $340 and a GK Bass 2x10 cab, $80. Granted not in Canada but you get my point. If I had bought new, I would have never owned any of them. Show this post to your mom and dad please, btw, I'm a dad.
If you tried a Little Giant and it sounded thin, it's because of the tubes. A tube change does wonders for that bad boy, anyway. I'd go with either the LG or HD (the HD has a gain and presence knob which is nice), the max gain sounds a lot like Appetite for Destruction.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
im tempted to try the blackheart again. will have to go to the US again.