I've been looking for an amp that would be the clean equivalent of the Tiny Terror -- sort of the "Gold Standard" for a smallish clean amp the way the Tiny Terror is the gold standard for low-wattage tube amps with lots of gain. A vintage Fender Bassman 50 head from the mid to late 60's fits the bill.

Yeah, I know that 50 watts puts it outside the low-wattage territory of the TT. But at lower volumes, say below 4 or 5 where it starts to break up, the Bassman is a clean monster. I played a re-capped 1967 Bassman 50 at the Seattle Guitar Center yesterday through a 4x12 cab with Greenbacks. It was freaking awesome clean. I would love to hear my EHX Deluxe Memory Man through this head.

I think my quest is over. Now I just need to start saving my pocket money and keep my eyes open for a killer deal. GC wanted $599 for their Bassman, but if I get lucky I may be able to find one for less than $500.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Jan 31, 2009,
Awesome.

I'm GAS'ing for a nitro-finished Jaguar and one of LP Addict's guitars, and a Mesa F-30 and a Fender Deluxe.
There was one at mine for $550 but I didn't really like it. It was a little too thin for my tastes, but it wasn't recapped or anything, it had all the stock stuff and wasn't very nice.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
... ^

bassmans have the thickest warmest cleans i've ever heard in my life, should run it at about 5 so you get a little breakup... really add's extra fat to your sound
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
What are the differences between the various vintage versions of this amp -- blackface vs. silverface? And how much would it cost to have a vintage version re-capped and refurbished?

For example, there's an right now for a Bassman 50 in need of some TLC and new tubes. Current price is $225 + shipping.

Well ****, for $225 it'd be worth it. Have a tech recap it, and then you do the little TLC things.
TS: I'll give you mine?

Just kidding!

Hopefully you can get the money to get the one at GC before someone else grabs it!
Quote by R.D
... ^

bassmans have the thickest warmest cleans i've ever heard in my life, should run it at about 5 so you get a little breakup... really add's extra fat to your sound

Yea, I was only running it around 3 through an old Fender cab so it may just be the volume levels.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
My cab for my Tiny Terror is a cube-shaped Avatar 1x12 with a G12H30. I think I'll probably need to go with a 2x12 if I end up getting a Bassman 50 head.
A lot of the reviews on HC talk about being able to patch the two input channels on the Bassman head. What does this mean?