I was looking around for a solid-body guitar and I saw Dave Grohl playing a Gibson Firebird studio. It's got 490R and 498T pickups and a Mahogany Neck and Body. I was thinking of getting it in Ebony with chrome hardware, then I was gonna buy a black pickguard for it.

I'll probably be playing a lot of 70's and 80's rock (Zeppelin, Queen, Van Halen, Guns N Roses), Thrash metal (Megadeth, 'Tallica) and lots of Grunge and Modern Rock (Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The Strokes etc.). Would this guitar fit these styles?

Here's a link:
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--GIBFBSTU

Any recommendations for a better guitar? Any problems with this one?
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
sounds goodd...
did you play one,
try it out.
then see if you like it....
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
I have played one at a local store, but it was the Firebird V model, which has the mini humbuckers. The neck feels nice, but I didn't like the pickups. I have tried the 490 and 498 in a Les Paul, and they sound great.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
They're pretty nice. As wolfy808 said, there is the other model which has minibuckers (which personally I prefer, but meh), but that Studio version is pretty much nothing special. That's not to say it's bad, it's just there's nothing really you need to know about it. Because of the size and shape of the body if you're not used to Firebird/Explorer/Jazzmaster kind of bodies then it can seem a little odd to handle at first and it'll be a while before you're swinging it up behind your head, but with that Studio you're looking at a nearly Les Paul tone (there is slightly less wood in a Firebird so it won't sound quite so deep as a Les Paul) and though the body shape can be a little awkward for showing off with, it's one of the best feeling guitars for rhythm playing when you sling it really low on a long strap and for lead playing, just look at that fret access.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I dont know much about firebirds but its my dream guitar! I'd say get one!
-Gear-
Gibson Firebird Studio 2004 Cherry red
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Alpine White
SG Copy
Ibanez TR
Fender DG acoustic

Marshall Valvestate 30 watts
Quote by MrFlibble
They're pretty nice. As wolfy808 said, there is the other model which has minibuckers (which personally I prefer, but meh)

Erm... wolfy808 is the TS, flibble

They look nice, I haven't tried one personally but i know someone that has one and it sounds good (of course it was being run through a mesa dual rec)
The studio version with those that Dave plays are absolutely sick. I'm a little biased as a Foo fan, but they work for just about anything, and are lighter even than SG's (IMO)
i want one. i rarely see people play them.

but i was recently at a concert and a guy had an all white one. i was badass.