What's the perfect way for me to become a famous rockstar and sell millions of records in America, while keeping my dignity? (my instrument being electric guitar)
Play music that's "in"

Sure, you won't be like the Beatles or anything revolutionary..but you'll be rich!!!
You don't not in todays age. Youve got three options, sell out (Jonas Brothers), keep tryin and failin but never givin up or finally revolutionize rock (Eric Clapton). That third one btw, aint so easy.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
You lose no dignity if the music that becomes the 'in' thing when your record comes out is also the music you genuinely enjoy.

See, people are too quick to assume that anyone who makes it big is a sell-out. How do we know that Jonas Brothers, Blink 182, etc. are any less sincere about their music-making than Trivium or the Foo Fighters? Different people like different things. Loads of people like Jonas Brothers, Nickelback and Blink 182. Why shouldn't the people in those bands be genuine fans of those styles of music?

There are so many luck factors involved in making it. I think you really need to be lucky enough to have the 'in' music just happen to coincide with your doing the music that you love to do, and by extension, the music that you are doing.

You also need to be lucky enough to:
-have or develop the right contacts (it helps a LOT to move to NY or LA)
-recognize that you have to learn the industry as quickly as possible. (you can't play the game if you don't know the rules)
-either *be* or hook up with someone who is an exceptional songwriter (because regardless of genre, great songs sell, and crappy songs don't - what makes a great song is a whole other discussion)
-either *be* or hook up with someone who can sing well, and whose voice has the extraordinary ability to connect with the masses. (because that's what 99% of the public will identify with first, and therefore judge you based on that alone in most cases)
-and have all those bits of luck happen before the age of 25. (flick on MTV for proof)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
practice till your fingers bleed everyday. (maybe not bleed, but if they don't hurt your not playing long enough)

have an awsome personality. you can't be famous and an ***hole at the same time

write songs that lots of people like, just because its called "pop" doesn't mean it can't rock at the same time
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
Quite frankly, the day of the huge rock star is on it's way out. Blame it on downloading, blame it on the rise of niche marketing, whatever. The fact is, even the biggest stars today sell a fraction of the amount of records of the stars of 10 years ago.
In other words, we're experiencing a "regression to the mean" in popular music.

Great.

... but true....

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by mybandsuks_15
have an awsome personality. you can't be famous and an ***hole at the same time

Sure you can, theres tons of rockstars that are absolute dicks. I think having interesting and memorably personanlity is more important.

now keep in mind, I'm not advising you to be an asshole I'm just saying...
^^ Exactly. Agree with this post. Anyone else heard of Yngwie Malmsteen?
Quote by EL2T
^^ Exactly. Agree with this post. Anyone else heard of Yngwie Malmsteen?

Axl Rose, Lars Ulrich, the list goes on...
Some are able to become stars in spite of it. If you're 'good' enough, people will want to work with you, even if you are a prick.

However, that is probably the exception. More typical is that a person found someone in a high place to help them out because they were a nice guy/girl and attracts great musicians to work with them because they're fun, professional, and easy to work with.

CT

I think it's mainly about the people you know. You could argue that the Jonas Brothers were sell-outs, but the pure face is that Nick was performing extensively in theatre from the age of 7. This gained him the contacts to be noticed by Columbia Records some 6 years later.

Bad example?
- Ok, Slash's mother made costumes for the Beatles 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart Band Cover

As said above, the focus is on the singer, not the guitarist. If you are a great guitarist, good on you. There's heaps of those. Guitar is only one part of a song, and the voice is more important in popular music.

So how to make it big?
- Learn to sing
- Practice alot, on both singing and guitar
- Go to LA, try to hang out on the club scene and meet lots of people
- Get a band together, get really dedicated people
- Start gigging regularly on the strip
- Get addicted to drugs and fired from multiple day jobs
- Your house is now completely trashed from having constant after-parties at yours
- Your rhythm guitarist has now died from a drug overdose, you never see the singer except at performances
- You get tempted to quit
- Record company offers contract

That's how most of the books go anyway.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud

- Ok, Slash's mother made costumes for the Beatles 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart Band Cover

And? Slash met many famous people early in his life. But when he became part of GnR and they got their recording contract, it was purely off of their live shows. If you read his autobiography, you read that he knew David Geffen when he was younger, yet when he signed them on to his label, he didnt have a clue who Slash was until Slash's mother told him.
Oh I've read Slash's autobiography and although he is a great guitar player, he comes across as a complete dickhead. He knew people in the industry, and most likely gained a lot of gigs through whom he knew, regardless of what his altered perception of the facts go.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud