Ok, me and a good friend who jam a lot are looking for a way of recording drums.
I already have, a shure SM57 and a mackie Onyx Sattelite.
We were thinking of getting:
http://www.dv247.com/invt/18107/ - 7 piece Drum Mic

Any recommendations on these mics?

However, im aware that we are 7 inputs short on the Onyx Sattelite, so how would we got about getting all the drum mics into that? i was thinking of a mixer, wit all the drum mics plugged into that, and then the mixer sent to the Onyx Sattelite (XLR or 1/4 Jack Inputs.
What Mixers would you recommend (preferably with enough inputs and reasonable pricing.

Aslo, just as a thought anyone know how good this is?http://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_beta91_pzm_microphone.htm
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Those PZMS are good if you want ok results without heaps of drum mics, its just going to sound like its one mic recording a kit.

What's your budget, thats the big question. Also do you care about cheaping out on quality, i'd suggest allen&heath or soundcraft but they are a bit more expensive.

If you wanna cheap out then alto or behringer will do it.
Stereo pair of small diaphragm condensers into your satellite.

Place them well and you'll be away.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Why small Diaphragm? Any recommendations on which ones?
I've Heard That one Large Diaphragm Behind the drummers left ear, a small diaphragm near the toms and a dynamic Such as the SM57 at the snare and bass drum will get the job done, but is two small diaphragm mics better?
Also, if we wanted to record guitar and drums at the same time we would still need a 4 input mixer or something going into the satellite, or am i complete wrong here?
Budget is about £300 wich i guess is roughly $500 worth of equipment. we already have an sm57 and the mackie sattelite so they dont need to be included.
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
SDC are cheaper than LDCs ( you can use them as overheads too) usually, i guess LDCs will sound better but SDCs are easier to get stereo pairs of etc etc. But 4 input sounds about right, overheads, kick and snare will get you a pretty decent result. Its sort of up to you.
thanks, wich microphones would you suggest?
if possible, can you recommend a relatively good quality while still reasonably cheap SDC, LDC, and a suitable Kick or Snare mic?
And maybe even a simple 4 or more input mixer?
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Alright you already have the 57, that is your snare mic.

I'd suggest the akg d112 for kicks, but as they ARE more expensive, maybe the nady dm-90 or the audix f-14 which are ridiculously cheaper.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAD-CM217-Condenser-Mic-Buy-One-Get-One-FREE?sku=271324

thats a pretty good deal, apparently the behringer ones are really decent as well. LDC?

Its coloured.. but its a damn goo mic, the mxl v67i, apparently if you get it modded it sounds like a $2000 mic so its a good investment (I'm getting mine modded soon).

That or the mxl 900 is pretty decent too.
Actually, the reason for small diaphragm condensers is that they have a far better transient response.

Quote by chippythingy
And maybe even a simple 4 or more input mixer?

Why not jut buy another satellite (probably at the same or similar cost) and daisy chain it with your current one, give you much better multi tracking capabilities.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Last edited by willieturnip at Feb 1, 2009,
SDC's have better transient response than LDCs? Hm you learn something new every day, i just figured because most pros use LDCs as overheads (c414s u87s etc... but also km184/84's which are SDC's... soon... soon )
In a nutshell, the smaller diagram weighs less so it can move faster .
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
the extra sattelite idea is a very good one ill admit.
so a set of small diaphragm condensers into another sattelite, thanks guys, i would have been clueless otherwise :P
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey