Refers to the thickness of your guitar strings. 9s are typically installed on electrics, although you may also find 10s. Those 2 numbers refer to the thin, or high E. Acoustics typically have 11s or 12s installed.

Edit: 9 actually means .009".
the size of the strings, each gauge covers a certain range and they are named for the high E string, so in a 0.010 gauge the high e is the 0.010
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Last edited by lpcustom325 at Jan 31, 2009,
Like string gauges or gauges that go in your ear? B/c string gauge is the thickness of the string and gauges that go in you ear are like those little circle earrings.. I am assuming you mean string though. bahaha
E.g.
Regular slinkys (Ernie Ball) are
meaning that the high E is .010 inches around, and the low E is .046 inches around.
I may have my units incorrect(inches/meters) but that is the general concept
Make a joyful noise.

Guild M-30

Peavy Audition 110 amp hey, i'm actually proud of this one.
boss ME-50
www.iamterrified.com
Quote by KG6_Steven
Refers to the thickness of your guitar strings. 9s are typically installed on electrics, although you may also find 10s. Those 2 numbers refer to the thin, or high E. Acoustics typically have 11s or 12s installed.

Edit: 9 actually means .009".

10s are pretty standard on electrics.

12s on acoustics.
Personal opinion, depends on how acidic your fingers are, how much you sweat, what kind of music you play. for example I like ernie ball 9s, but that is just me and I don't wear them out too quickly... just try a bunch..
Make a joyful noise.

Guild M-30

Peavy Audition 110 amp hey, i'm actually proud of this one.
boss ME-50
www.iamterrified.com