it will blow the amp or guitar or both i think something related to frequencies i think
Quote by nirvanapwns
it will blow the amp or guitar or both i think something related to frequencies i think

Haha, no no no, you're thinking of Bass + Guitar Amp

Guitar + Bass amp = completely fine!
I'm using my old bass practice amp for my guitar at the moment, and it sounds lovely!

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Our guitarist uses a bass amp.
It's a guitar amp with more frequencies really.

And someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong, but bass amps can handle the higher harmonic frequencies of a guitar, but a guitar amp can't handle the lows of a bass.
It'll be fine. As to whether or not it'll sound better that comes down to preference.
Quote by Casketcreep
Our guitarist uses a bass amp.
It's a guitar amp with more frequencies really.

And someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong, but bass amps can handle the higher harmonic frequencies of a guitar, but a guitar amp can't handle the lows of a bass.

Yup. Bass speakers are built like tanks. Guitar speakers are built like paper doilies that your little sister used during pretend tea parties with her dolls.
You can get a really heavy tone using a guitar and bass amp, i honestly dont understand why the use of bass amps in metal hasnt seemed to catch on.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
It is less successful using a guitar through a Bass amp today than it was in years gone by, the main reason being the modern Bass preamp stages are now totaly dedicated to Bass reproduction whereas years ago there was very little difference with most amps; it was the speakers used that made much of the difference.

There are differences between Bass and general purpose speakers; in most cases these being the front and rear suspensions.

Bass speakers are usualy designed to handle more wattage than a general purpose (PA,Disco, Guitar ) speaker, the reason here is that it takes more wattage to produce low frequency notes at a high sound pressure level than it does to reproduce the frequencies that guitar or vocal speakers cover at the same level.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
There's a death metal band going around in my local area called The Dead. Their bassist is now their new guitarist so he's using his old bass amp + cab with a ton of effects and a new Les Paul he bought.
It sounds so beefy. It's the chunkiest, sludgiest tone I've EVER heard.
Quote by Thegian
You can get a really heavy tone using a guitar and bass amp, i honestly dont understand why the use of bass amps in metal hasnt seemed to catch on.

I use my bass amps for guitar, always have done. Chuck Berry's early tone relied on a Fender Bassman. didn't it? Josh Homme and David Gilmour both use Ampeg bass gear in their rigs.
I've tried a few guitar amps with Tele's like mine with a view to buying, but never found anything that gives the clarity, depth and range I've got from bass amps.
Maybe I should try Ashdown's Fallen Angel, or the Laney rig that came with a 15" speaker (can't remember the name of the range). They were aimed at metal players, but seemed to me to be quite bass amp-ish.
Now I want my old '76 Marshall Superbass back! On top of a Marshall 4x12", it sounded like a Plexi on steroids...
Quote by creepingjesus73
I use my bass amps for guitar, always have done. Chuck Berry's early tone relied on a Fender Bassman. didn't it? ]

So did Buddy Holly and Eddie Chochran and many others.
As I said earlier you wouldn't recognise those as Bass amps in relation to todays dedicated Bass amps nor would they be of much use on stage today @ 40 watts.

A friend of mine will actualy hand build the early Fender Bassman for you, see this site; http://www.stratman.me.uk/ I know that of all those he has built none have gone to Bassists.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
This is true. But with modern PA systems as they are, volume differences don't matter much anymore. Buddy and his contemporaries would've killed for that kind of versatility.
So I could run my Tele into one of those shiny new Bassmans, and sit in with a JCM900. Or put it into an SM-1500, and watch everyone run for cover...
Joking aside, they did it out of necessity, but happened to establish a classic tone. I think more guitarists should try using a bass amp, just to see what they get. It doesn't surprise me that they don't, because on the whole, they're a very conservative bunch. But I'm happy with it, and it's not a great secret for the most part.
Quote by creepingjesus73
This is true. But with modern PA systems as they are, volume differences don't matter much anymore. Buddy and his contemporaries would've killed for that kind of versatility.

So very true but I was refering to the usefullnes as a Bass amp; you wouldn't start playing guitar through one that you had been using previously for Bass(remember 15/20 watts was the normal handling for 12" speakers in those days); also for what you would have to pay for an early Fender Bassman (50s) in relation to an Ashdown combo which are in principal both combos but in performance and characteristic very different pieces of gear.
If you looked into the 60s and 70s in most cases you would find very little to differentiate between the higher percentage of Bass and guitrar amps.
One of the most popular rigs in the 70s for Bassists and guitarists was the 'Fender Dual Showman' rig, the only difference between Bass and lead versions being the model of JBL 15" speaker used which was the D130 for Lead and the D140 for Bass, the same amplifier was also used in the Twin Reverb (JBL D120s), and the Vibrosonic Reverb(JBL D130). The same also applied to Orange amp heads in the 70s; same head different cab.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
So did Buddy Holly and Eddie Chochran and many others.
As I said earlier you wouldn't recognise those as Bass amps in relation to todays dedicated Bass amps nor would they be of much use on stage today @ 40 watts.

A friend of mine will actualy hand build the early Fender Bassman for you, see this site; http://www.stratman.me.uk/ I know that of all those he has built none have gone to Bassists.

Well, you're right about the preamp, but a 40w bassman is loud enough for any gig 90% of people on UG are ever going to play. There still are some bass amps with classic voicing--ashdown starts to get there. I have a Traynor tube bass head that's not even two years old, and it sounds godly with a guitar through it.
bass works with bass amp because the speaker can move alot more than a guitar amp so i think a guitar would work just fine with a bass amp
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
To add to whats already been said, Kim Thayil played through a Fender bass amp in one or two of the early Soundgarden recordings.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Most people are missing an essential feature of modern bass amplification - the tweeter. Sure, old dudes used Fender Bassmen, Marshall 412s, Ampeg SVTs... an Ampeg 810 tops out at 5kHz, and guitar cabs around 7kHz. Bass cabs without tweeters do not have more treble than guitar cabs. However, WITH tweeters, you get an INSANE amount of treble, up to the 15kHz-20kHz area. With heavy distortion, this sounds harsh. Attenuators can alleviate that, but you're still getting up to that area of super-treble. Cleans sound jaw-dropping, but intense distortion makes ears bleed on guitar.

The fundamental of a low E on a guitar is still ~82Hz - you don't need a bass cab for that. It might speak a bit thicker, but theres no "need". Dudes who tune to A and F# can go to hell.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by skwelcher
bass works with bass amp because the speaker can move alot more than a guitar amp so i think a guitar would work just fine with a bass amp
It is the Bass frequencies that make the extended travel of the cone not guitar frequencies, guitar speaker cones are usualy lighter and softer that is why Bass frequencies damage them; they also have shorter voice coils.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Feb 2, 2009,
Sort of on topic, but running a guitar combo amp into a bass cab seems to add a lot of depth to the sound. I recently picked up a bass 2x10 GK cab and run it with my guitar combo amp and I was shocked. "Was" going to swap out for guitar speakers but I'm liking the added depth of tone.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Sort of on topic, but running a guitar combo amp into a bass cab seems to add a lot of depth to the sound. I recently picked up a bass 2x10 GK cab and run it with my guitar combo amp and I was shocked. "Was" going to swap out for guitar speakers but I'm liking the added depth of tone.

What you're actualy getting is less high mids and treble from Bass speakers so you then turn up the volume/gain and get more bottom end.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
What you're actualy getting is less high mids and treble from Bass speakers so you then turn up the volume/gain and get more bottom end.

My amps are pretty bright so yea, a mid and high cut is pretty much what the doctor ordered. My speakers in the combos still operate when the cab is attached, so it's just more sound/tone etc on the bottom end. I can' see any benifit to changing the speakers in the bass cab to guitar speakers outside of just experimenting with more tones etc. I thought it would be muddy etc, but that is not the case.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
My amps are pretty bright so yea, a mid and high cut is pretty much what the doctor ordered. My speakers in the combos still operate when the cab is attached, so it's just more sound/tone etc on the bottom end. I can' see any benifit to changing the speakers in the bass cab to guitar speakers outside of just experimenting with more tones etc. I thought it would be muddy etc, but that is not the case.

Keep experimenting and having fun; I've always been an experimenter I used Horns/Tweeters in my cabs way back in the 70s, I also used a swell pedal in place of the on-off footswitch on my old tape echoes; both are standard these days (expression pedal on multi effects).
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
^So it was YOU who started all that, eh?

But, John, what do you think the best tweeter is? And at what frequency should the crossover be set at?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
^So it was YOU who started all that, eh?

But, John, what do you think the best tweeter is? And at what frequency should the crossover be set at?

Hi there, I first used a horn way back crossed in at 3.5k, tweeters tend to be crossed a little higher (I think) with piezos I stick a 100 ohm resistor on.

Must admit I tend to use cheap Eminence tweeters, and carry a few spare replacement voice coils/diaphragms in stock.

Cheers John
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
You need a resistor with piezos to protect your amp from instability at supersonic frequencies where the resistance of the piezo's falls towards zero.