SO, it has come down to this, either the FM or the Vypyr. I, as mentioned in the other thread, am a punk musician getting ready to start serious practicing and jamming with my band, and starting gigs hopefully by the end of this summer. Now, either amp is certainly loud enough ( I would hope ) so that is not an issue, I simply need to know which one is better, I can get and pay for both that is not an issue. In addittion to upbeat crunch-punch (my bands sound) punk, I also play classic rock, rock, old school punk, and a bit of alternative, in addition to just shredding when I feel like it. So, which one will it be? Which one not only can be used for my musical tastes but has a very good tone and quality of sound. BTW, I despise muddy distortion and noise, so that is a factor. If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know (in the 400 - 300 dollar range)
Vypyr
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
This without a doubt

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listID=105057787

Will be able to do your genres 100 times better than vypyr and 1000 times better than frontman

edit: and its also louder/ just as loud as both- don't let the 30 watts worry you.

edit2: and if you will be gigging this will hold up a LOT better at high volumes where as the vypyr will start to clip which means it will start to sound bad. The classic 30 will start to sound better at gigging volume.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Last edited by DaddyBarbs at Jan 31, 2009,
or the Palomino v50, it runs $350 at musicians friend, but GC has price matching so you could get it from them
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

the palomino is discontinued IIRC

but still, the classic 30 would be a better choice imo
My gear:
PRS SE custom
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
yea a used Classic 30 would be a great option.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Out of those two I would pick the Frontman given my dislike of modelers.

But you can get better for the price, if you look used.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Last edited by shadow__666 at Jan 31, 2009,
Quote by shadow__666
Out of those two I would pick the Frontman given my dislike of modelers.

But you can get better for the price, if you look used.

hence classic 30

TS, DO IT!!!@!@!@!2
My gear:
PRS SE custom
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
The Frontman is awful so it has to be the Vypyr by a country mile. I really like the Classic 30 but I still don't think it's what he wants as he plays a reasonable range of styles and to achieve that level of diversity with the Classic 30 he'd need to invest in pedals as well; something that wouldn't be needed with the Vypyr.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Well, I like pedals... but like you said, investing in them is well, expensive lol. Idk, the Vypyr or the Classic... or still the Frontman, I havn't eliminated that possiblity... as no one has given me a thurough and logical reason not to... saying "this amps sux, I played it once and it sounded like terri****" thats not a really good reason to me. Also, I doubt I can get the Classic 30, I dont use ebay, I dont have a really good reason why I simply don't... (I dont use craigslist or musicians friend or any internet purchasing deals in general) So... if someone took the time please to give as much detail on each and why they choose the Vypyr... essentially the only place I can get my new amp, unless it is the FM (I can get that from my friend) is Guitar Center....
Quote by RisingFreedom09
BTW, I despise muddy distortion and noise, so that is a factor.

If this is true, then you don't even want to look at an FM212R.

So you want detail....The FM cleans are reminiscent of the cleans of other Fender amps....they aren't awful. However, most lower end Fender amps don't have very good drive, and this is certainly true of the FM. It is very thin and buzzy. It's hard to get anything even close to desirable results out of it.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Jan 31, 2009,
More detail eh!

My son had a Fender Frontman and it's the worst amp I've ever had the misfortune to try. The cleans were OK (nothing more) and the drive channel was horrible. The distortion was muddy, fizzy, flat and terrible. It had nothing going for it. You notice on this site that one of the amps that people really hate is a Marshall MG but that is actually quite good compared to a Frontman. The Marshall MG may be massively overpriced for high end models but at least it's OK as a practice amp. The Fender Frontman can't even claim that!!! I simply can't think of any amp I've ever tried that is as bad as a Frontman.

I tried the Vypyr partly because it was new and I was curious and partly because a student of mine wanted an opinion on it. I like it because the quality of the amp models is the best I've come across in a modeler. The amp models they have run a wide variety of tonal possibilities and the high gain models are based on very good models like the XXX, JSX or 6505 but it also does more unusual amp models like the Diezel and Krank. Furthermore the effects on it are editable to a far greater degree than any other modeler on the market, you can use multiple effects at the same time and the layout of everything is very like the way you'd arrange a proper tube amp and pedals.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Ok thank you Doad lol, I finally have something to go on. Now I can erase the Frontman. Now then it would be either the Classic or the Vypyr. I'm really leaning toward the Vypyr though, considering the Classic is no longer sold in stores and what not. Are there any other amps (besides the Classic) you all can recommend? Like perhaps a tube amp? I dont do huge gigs (yet) so a tube amp at atleast 30 watts is all I would need. I ask because tube amps are just better from my very little experience with amps. They typically sound cleaner and less noisy, and can be louder, so thats why only 30 watts would be enough. If there is nothing better in that 300-400 price range, then I would go with the Vypyr. I just want to explore all possible amps before buying. This amp needs to last me for the next 2 to 2 and a half years, by then I will be able to afford a decent tube amp.
You could get one of the Vypyrs that is all tube, 60 and 120 watt versions I think
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

All I would need is the 60 watt lol, how much is that? last time i checked it was like 670 bucks...
I own the Frontman... It is really not a good amp. I've never played a vypyr but the Frontman is just a no...

The bad: Two days after I bought it the foot switch crapped out on me and died. The volume knob on the clean channel has broken off. The speakers tone is not that great. The distortion is so-so. Two channels, gain and more gain! More gain is ok. Gain is ok. It can kinda do punk.

I really haven't played it in a while cause my friend dropped off his Crate halfstack and that is much much better.

The good thing: It's loud. Small. Light weight. Once again, loud.

I dunno what else to suggest. I think that if you had to decide between the two then get the Vypyr. The frontman is just a no... Don't do it. Don't you dare do it.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
I own a 15 watt Frontman. They are as bad if not worse than the MG. The OD tone completely sucks donkey ****. It always rattles when I play it too. I played the Vypyr the other day and wasn't too impressed either. It's better than others but it's not as good as everyone says it is IMO. However, I played a Soldano SLO100 right before I played the Vypyr so my opinion may not be valid.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Okay everyone, thank you very much, the FM is off my list. Now, should I get the SS Vypyr, or spring for the Tube Vypyr.

Really, thanks for the help everyone.
I would try the tube to see if you like it, if not the SS is fine
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I think I am gonna get the 75. I simply don't have anymore money to use on a more expensive amp, I need a mic and stand anyways (I am lead vocalist as well)
Last edited by RisingFreedom09 at Feb 1, 2009,
Here are a few recommendations I found online. I'm looking used for you.

Peavey TransTube 212 EFX
Vox ADVT100 or summat
Marshall AVT50
Bronx Tube 12
Peavey Classic 30 (But I dunno how well that would work for you)
Peavey VK 212 (This would probably be loud as s***)
Crate Palomino V32 (I think this looks very nice.)

Keep in mind. I've never played any of these. I just think that some of these would work well. They are all used too, so it might be a little damaged but probably functional. If I had to narrow it down I would say the Peavey ValveKing, Vox AD100VT, Bronx Tube 12, and Crate Palomino. I dunno about the Marshall. I don't think the classic 30 would work well, but you never know. And I dunno about that Transtube either, but whatever. These are just things that are in your price range that are used and might work well.

Do you have any pedals to use with these amps? Or are you relying simply on the amps tone? Pedals aren't really a necessity, I'm just curious. Cause if you have pedals than there might be more amps that would work.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
^palomino definitely reccomended. the overdrive is good for older-style 77 and oi punk, not exactly a high gain metal monster. but the clean channel works great with pedals.
Thanks for the suggestions bud I've settled on the Vypyr 75, as inknow I can get it from Guitar Center and it has been recommended to me by a countless amount of people.

Well, I like using pedals, its just the way I am, I have used a lot of pedals but my only one I own is the Boss DS-1, a very decent beginners pedal. The only way I get a good tone out of it though it using the level on max, it brings out the pedals eq and makes things cleaner.
Alright man. Good luck with it. Keep on playing and if people tell you to stop just ignore them and play something amazing to make them all shut up. Vypyr's not bad. I wish I had bought one instead of my 212R, but I am using my friends Crate GlX1200H with a Crate 4x12 so it is all good. That Vypyr will probably last you alot longer than the 212r ever would've.

Cool, sounds good friend. Well, when ever people say all I do is powerchords I just have them come over I and shred for like 5 minutes lol. Then they shut up, and forever. A lot of my music may be powerchords, barre chords and simplistic solos, but I can shred just like any metalhead can. It's just not the type of music I like to really play or listen to.

I am heading to Guitar Center tomorrow, so I hope to get it then. If I do, I'll be sure to let you all know. Thanks for the help everyone!

As a sidenote, if anyone can recommend reaaallly good distortion pedal to me for punk and alternative type stuff, something I can get with maybe 100 bucks or so, please do tell. My DS-1 is okay, but for a gig I'm not so sure how it will hold, then again I have never played it with a good amp, so I will see when I get my new one. I do like some sounds I have heard people get from their Vypyrs on Youtube, but I'm somewhat of a purist and I like my effects to come from what are specifically formulated to make effects, and those are pedals. The OS-2 has had mixed feelings, I have had people suggest it to me, and others scorn it in reviews, so I can not be sure with that.
If you can find one that works, then get a vypyr. but be warned, there are countless duds out there. I've had one sent to me dead on arrival, and peaveys customer service is abysmal at best.
Here are a few distortion/overdrive pedals etc. that I think might work well for you.

Electro Harmonix XO Little Big Muff
Boss BD-2 I Might be putting this cause I want one
Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion
Boss OD-3 OverDrive Pedal
Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion

Now I didn't really see one that said it was good for punk and such, but Punk is typically somewhere between Rock and metal and yeah. Depending on what you play. What kind of punk do you play? Like Black Flag? The Clash? I have very limited knowledge of punk sorry. Do you rely heavily on distortion? Or not so much? I also have no clue how well vypyrs work with pedals.

So is your distortion heavy, almost metal like? Or is it more of The Clash where it is just gritty? I dunno how to describe it.

Rather than buying a bunch of pedals for use with a modeling amp, buy the Sanpera II. If you're dead set on buying a bunch of pedals, don't get a vypyr.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.