Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Peavey Windsor half stack for $399. I know the cleans pretty much non existent etc etc etc but what I do want to know is is there a better combo in the price range? I need a new amp ASAP so I'm not going to say used is not an option but it would be nice if it was something I could just order within the next couple of hours.
EDIT: Just ordered it!
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Last edited by soul_power at Jan 31, 2009,
You'll have to order another cab to get the proper approximation of that sweet, sweet crunchy JCM800 tone that it's so good at recreating.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Peavey Classic series combos? Crate Palomino combos? Fender Hot Rod combos?
Quote by stangconv
Umm the cab sucks....

But I want one too... (well just the head)

Sell the cab on CL.

What kind of music do you play?

Pretty much everything but metal. From Death Cab For Cutie esque indie to The Almost style southern punk. The heaviest I get would be say...Maylene and The Sons of Disaster. Also play some RHCP stuff, Foo Fighters, etc. I figure I could probably get what I paid for it if I don't like it. I noticed that people bought a bunch of the V series Crates when they were on clearance and they waited till they sold out and are turning around and selling them on ebay for double. If I don't like the cab I'll sell it. I might even have my tech mod the head if that's an option.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I would say one of the Palomino combos but they just got discontinued
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
RHCP has quite a bit of cleans.

This amp = negligible cleans.

It's a great amp if you want a Marshall JCM-esque crunchy tone, but forget the cleans. That's why it's so cheap. Might just pick one up myself for the crunch.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
If it's what you like, go for it. A speaker swap in the cab would go a long way, some V30s or Greenbacks would sound sweet in there
ohai little sig.
Quote by soul_power
Pretty much everything but metal. From Death Cab For Cutie esque indie to The Almost style southern punk. The heaviest I get would be say...Maylene and The Sons of Disaster. Also play some RHCP stuff, Foo Fighters, etc. I figure I could probably get what I paid for it if I don't like it. I noticed that people bought a bunch of the V series Crates when they were on clearance and they waited till they sold out and are turning around and selling them on ebay for double. If I don't like the cab I'll sell it. I might even have my tech mod the head if that's an option.

Do it... The head can be modded.. it can even be modded to have cleans. Sell the cab or load it with some decent speakers
QUESTION:

Okay, this has come up a lot lately. Wouldn't a simple retube with a lower gain tube (like a 12AT7) in the V1 and maybe the PI help the amp's cleans TREMENDOUSLY? Then you could just add an OD or EQ (or both) for higher gain?

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Jan 31, 2009,
Just ordered it. I'll let you guys know what I think when it comes in. The cleans do worry me a bit BUT I don't think it's going to be much of a problem because I've been planning on getting a Roland JC for cleans this summer.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
^that works too

Stupid name.

Quote by timi_hendrix
It looks like a cheesecake.

Cheesecake is delicious. That's a bad argument. I'd prefer the argument that it sounds like a lactose intolerant obese man after eating a whole cheesecake.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
The crushing disappointment when you roll in drunk as a daisy at 3am and try taking a bite out of a delicious dessert to taste tolex and particle board would make a good con, though.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
The crushing disappointment when you roll in drunk as a daisy at 3am and try taking a bite out of a delicious dessert to taste tolex and particle board would make a good con, though.

Good point. You could just find some spray that tastes like cheesecake and cover that bad boy with it, though. I'm sure they make it somewhere.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by DaddyBarbs

Windsor is confused....

in it's confusion windsor hurts itself.

but yeah the windsor is seems like its good for what your looking for, but yeah used you can get a lot better. Also look at a peavey valveking that could be up your alley
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA

Cheesecake and Pokemon ftw.

lmao
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com