Page 1 of 2
And carries around like a notebook or something because they might just randomly get inspired by something?

And what inspires you guys to write music?

Like beautiful things, or death, or rebellious feelings, or what?

Just curious, because I have notebooks full or songs, poems, dialogue or descriptions of things Ive seen or emotions i feel that I later write music for and turn into full songs...

Just wondering...
I know the singer in my band carries a notebook for such occasions. I think he's mostly inspired by random acts of idiocy, though

Personally, music just comes to me out of the blue. I never write it down, since if it isn't memorable enough to last until I get to a guitar it doesn't deserve to be played
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
Quote by Perfection 101
Personally, music just comes to me out of the blue. I never write it down, since if it isn't memorable enough to last until I get to a guitar it doesn't deserve to be played

*listens to song on your profile*
Maybe the stuff you remember doesn't deserve to be played

Back on topic, if I had a nickel for every time I come up with something nice and then forget it by the time I get a pen and paper or my guitar
Yea I have a notebook. They are mainly just a verse here, a verse there. Even though I dont sing, most of my bands lyrics come from that notebook...
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Quote by UncleCthulhu

In my defence, the aforementioned singer wrote that song (for his music A-Level, no less). He just asked me to play it, since he didn't know any other guitarists with low enough self-respect
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
I only write stuff down on my computer, in notepad. If something I think of is really that good, I'll remember it. Same goes with riffs, I don't record them or tab them or anything. I just remember the truly good ones.
We're only strays.
If I get inspired by something, I'll start working on it in my head, developing as many lyrics as I can for it. Then I spend quite a while memorizing it, if I don't have a pen and paper.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by Guitarfreak217
And carries around like a notebook or something because they might just randomly get inspired by something?

And what inspires you guys to write music?

Like beautiful things, or death, or rebellious feelings, or what?

Just curious, because I have notebooks full or songs, poems, dialogue or descriptions of things Ive seen or emotions i feel that I later write music for and turn into full songs...

Just wondering...

errr... i write music cos its part of my coursework for college...

and for the proud feeling afterwards
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery.

But today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.
i've been writing lyrics for best part of 5 or 6 years.
it's not something I do so much for enjoyment anymore though, which is a shame. I almost feel i HAVE to write songs, so i do, therefore a lot of my material sounds quite obvious and unoriginal.

Although its like taking photos, you may take 100 photos and only end up with 5 great photos in the same way I may write 100 songs and only end up with 5 great songs.

I write so much stuff that I've come to expect that most of it will be crap.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
i does
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I'm trying too. Lyrics are damn hard to write though.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I do.
I normally just write about anything. Like, last night it was raining, so I took raindrops etc and turned them into something metaphorical.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by UncleCthulhu

Back on topic, if I had a nickel for every time I come up with something nice and then forget it by the time I get a pen and paper or my guitar

If I had a nickel for every time I forgot to write down an Idea I'd have a lot of useless currency.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
yer... i am a natural poet and songwriter

and yes i carry a notebook, wherever i go... even on the toilet

i just wish i could make up riffs to back up the songwriting
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.
I write piano music. I write guitar riffs. I make stuff on the computer, and I also write stuff (not really poetry, kinda free-verse reflections on stuff). I have a difficult time putting the words and the music together, though.
I don't carry a book with me, because I want to take the time to really craft what I'm working on.

Really I just remember anything worth writing anyway.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
basically I have simple inspirations, I write according to my mood, mainly metal but sometimes different types of songs if I really feel like it

I don't get stuck as far as words go because they come to me almost instantly.
Does anyone here have a method to writing their songs? (including the music) Like, steps they take when they write?

I struggle to write any decent lyrics, maybe a good line here or there. Even if it's inspired it still feels unoriginal and bland when i read it back. I envy the people who can just put pen to paper and write awesome things
I have lyrics saved on my laptop and I have a notebook of tabs written down so I don't forget my riffs and such.
Honestly, the most random things inspire me.

My girlfriend is in Ohio until monday, and i've decided to work the line, "She's in Ohio with the elderly, following her Mother, just a wheelchair racin'." into something.

But i can see something like a set of keys in the road, or a kid with a skinned knee, or anything really, and it'll give me some sort of an idea.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
I am a composition major in a music conservatory...

...so I don't write anything.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i have a note book but i dont carry it everywhere with me, mainly because i usualy dont go anywhere. i have a bunch of lyrics but not alot of music yet.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Quote by kezzaguy
Does anyone here have a method to writing their songs? (including the music) Like, steps they take when they write?

I struggle to write any decent lyrics, maybe a good line here or there. Even if it's inspired it still feels unoriginal and bland when i read it back. I envy the people who can just put pen to paper and write awesome things

You can't over-think it. Just write and write and eventually you'll write something you like.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by slaptasticdave
You can't over-think it. Just write and write and eventually you'll write something you like.
Well, over-thinking is counter-productive, but I don't like the idea of just "writing and writing" until something good comes out.

It is more efficient and yields better results when you can take a phrase and develop it, writing new material that relates to the motivic ideas. Eventually, a theme comes out. And then further along, variations and expositions. This methodical approach ties the music together very well and makes it more meaningful and memorable than random melodies strung together.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
The way i write music is, i make up riffs, then think of lyrics to go along with the riff.
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
I write riffs and lyrics. My lyrics are ok, not terrible, but not the best.
I write about random stuff, some of it metaphors, some not. Sometimes I write about something that happened....
I usually start on lyircs. And unlike what most people say, I come up with a title BEFORE the lyrics. It's way easier. Then I go work on guitar parts. But I keep track of what I want to happen (like how much distortion, echo, effect) in the lyrics.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, over-thinking is counter-productive, but I don't like the idea of just "writing and writing" until something good comes out.

It is more efficient and yields better results when you can take a phrase and develop it, writing new material that relates to the motivic ideas. Eventually, a theme comes out. And then further along, variations and expositions. This methodical approach ties the music together very well and makes it more meaningful and memorable than random melodies strung together.

That's what I meant

>_>

<_<
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
i have a notebook full of lyrics i carry around. there easy to write.
music i have to be playing a instrument more or less. sometimes i get a rhythm and ill write it down.
I write guitar riffs sometimes I just kinda improv and if I like something I write it down. Dont write lyrics though cause I tried once and couldnt get anything I liked down so I havent tried since.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Yeah, I write a lot of poetry. Most of it is terrible so I hide it from society.
I'm a MAN!
Page 1 of 2