Hey everyone.

Well, until I get my MIM, I'm here at the UG forums.

I've been thinking, while I don't plan on learning to play Bass anytime soon (I still need to learn to play lead!), is it easier to learn how to play Bass after you're pretty good at Lead Guitar? How about the opposite?

Just curious, because it would seem like a pretty good skill to be able to play both, especially if you want to get in a band (Not that I'm trying, or have the skills).

So, if someone wouldn't mind entertaining my random guitar ramblings, would you post a reply?

Thanks!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
I thought bass was a little easier for me after I'd started playing lead guitar. But I honestly think it's just because I had more experience. I knew all my scales which made bass pretty easy. The hard part was adjusting to the strings.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I thought bass was pretty easy after learning lead, but then I never tried to play bass before I'd learned to play lead, so I can't really compare.
When life gives you lemons, squirt juice in your enemies' eyes.
i HATED guitar and played bass for about 3 years when i started. i have since all but abandoned bass and fallen in love w/ guitar, but i do believe playing bass for 3 years and THEN learning guitar made it much easier.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
the hardest part is just getting used to the thicker strings and that there spaced out further. basically its harder on your fingers
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Yamaha F-130 Acoustic Guitar
  • Epiphone SG special edition Guitar
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
Quote by (b)ass
the hardest part is just getting used to the thicker strings and that there spaced out further. basically its harder on your fingers

you think so? my fingers adjusted from never playing an instrument to playing bass quite fine. but going from bass to guitar was about 3 weeks of somewhat pain
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
I started with bass and had been playing it for a year and a half with classical lessons, and outside-school training before I ever bought a guitar, and it definantly helped I think. After learning how to play bass, it was much easier to muscle my way around a guitar, and I started doing leads pretty fast. I have also stopped playing bass since. Just a preferance thing I suppose.