Page 1 of 2
Right, before I start I want this on-topic otherwise I'm reporting people. And I don't want a religious flaming either.

Right my question is this- outside of church, is it possible that a band of mine could play worship/religiously themed music?

I'm thinking of something on the lines of Skillet or P.O.D in terms of sound.
theres absolutely nothing wrong with that. anyone who says otherwise shoud be placed on pluto.
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
i don't see why not. as long as the songs are not to preachy like many christian bands do most people probablly won't care
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
Quote by exect4500
I don't see why not.

Well the problem I have is that the audiences at most of the gig venues here wouldn't appreciate anything too religous.
Depends on where your playing, if its a place thats got an even mix of religious and non-religious people I'd say go for it (if your band can really play the songs well). But if the crowd doesn't know/like the songs you're covering just be careful and pack some other secular songs for backup!
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Well the problem I have is that the audiences at most of the gig venues here wouldn't appreciate anything too religous.

any way you can secularize the lyrics a bit?
Quote by Thesmartkid
Depends on where your playing, if its a place thats got an even mix of religious and non-religious people I'd say go for it (if your band can really play the songs well). But if the crowd doesn't know/like the songs you're covering just be careful and pack some other secular songs for backup!

I'm talking pub and rock club venues here...

Quote by exect4500
any way you can secularize the lyrics a bit?

Stuff like POD and Skillet tend to go for subtle religious messages anyway.
Unless you want to have foreign objects thrown at you and relentless humiliation, dont praise your god at a show. Unless you are 100% sure that your entire audience is religious, dont do it. They came to jam to some good music, not be lectured on how great Jesus is. Do that in private or in common company.
Ibanez RGT42DX
-D'Addario .09-.42
Washburn X10
-Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottem
Cort 5 String Bass

Kustom Arrow 160FX
Electro-Harmonix-Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Digitech-Grunge

Quote by r3conmarine90
Unless you want to have foreign objects thrown at you and relentless humiliation, dont praise your god at a show. Unless you are 100% sure that your entire audience is religious, dont do it. They came to jam to some good music, not be lectured on how great Jesus is. Do that in private or in common company.

It's not going to be a sermon- I wouldn't want to do that anyway. What I want is positive moral messages in the songs.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
It's not going to be a sermon- I wouldn't want to do that anyway. What I want is positive moral messages in the songs.

Lol cuz secularism doesn't have positive morals? You know what, I digress. Not gonna get into the whole morality-in-Atheism debate. Honestly though, if you can get away with vague references and overall inspiration from it without mentioning god, then its acceptable. But for a lot of people, listening to religious music is a huge turnoff. They'd rather the songs be ambiguous enough to take their own meaning from it. But thats IMO.

I guess just try it out and see how the crowd reacts. If we've learned anything from Nolan White and In the Van, its that pubs and small venues can be veerrryy volatile places.
Ibanez RGT42DX
-D'Addario .09-.42
Washburn X10
-Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottem
Cort 5 String Bass

Kustom Arrow 160FX
Electro-Harmonix-Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Digitech-Grunge

Quote by r3conmarine90
Lol cuz secularism doesn't have positive morals? You know what, I digress. Not gonna get into the whole morality-in-Atheism debate. Honestly though, if you can get away with vague references and overall inspiration from it without mentioning god, then its acceptable. But for a lot of people, listening to religious music is a huge turnoff. They'd rather the songs be ambiguous enough to take their own meaning from it. But thats IMO.

I guess just try it out and see how the crowd reacts. If we've learned anything from Nolan White and In the Van, its that pubs and small venues can be veerrryy volatile places.

That should really read 'positive Christian morality'...oops.

One thing I should add is that I want a band DEDICATED to playing only this worship music. There WON'T BE any back up ordinary songs.
Make your lyrics just slightly Christian, and even if only one person gets it: u did your job without preaching.
Quote by JTROKS
Make your lyrics just slightly Christian, and even if only one person gets it: u did your job without preaching.

That's the plan...
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
That's the plan...

I really don't think it would work well unless done in a highly religious place. Your average joe doesn't want to hear praise of God when he comes in for a drink. This doesn't just go for religion, any beliefs should be kept at home when playing a gig to an audience unless you are absolutely CERTAIN that they are of similar beliefs. I say keep it in church if you want to be a worship band. Otherwise, join a regular mainstream rock band, and have fun

Sanity is not statistical
why not
bands like daemonhunter and impending doom (dont like em but still ) do that
why not you?
i just remembered there is a local christian death metal band near me
maybe if you scream no one could understand whats being said so they wouldn't know
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
my opinion on this is no... it because there are (hopefully) going to be a lot of people at your gig, of all ethnicity and religions. if you play a song about Jesus and how he brings peace to the world, then the next band should be able to stand up and play a song about putting all Christians in a flaming pit of doom (not proposing anything here)

and I know, we all should agree that putting ANY one in a "flaming pit of doom" is wrong! but if they cant sing about their beliefs then why should you? even if your songs have good moral values...
I thought Fassa was an atheist
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by zstuchalot
my opinion on this is no... it because there are (hopefully) going to be a lot of people at your gig, of all ethnicity and religions. if you play a song about Jesus and how he brings peace to the world, then the next band should be able to stand up and play a song about putting all Christians in a flaming pit of doom (not proposing anything here)

and I know, we all should agree that putting ANY one in a "flaming pit of doom" is wrong! but if they cant sing about their beliefs then why should you? even if your songs have good moral values...

Go and read the first page....
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Go and read the first page....

Oh sorry I was not flaming or any thing I just dont agree with religious practice out side the church, Im agnostic so i cant really complain on any thing you think...
Quote by zstuchalot
Oh sorry I was not flaming or any thing I just dont agree with religious practice out side the church, Im agnostic so i cant really complain on any thing you think...

It's not necessarily 'religious practice' to do what I'm planning to do though- what I want to do is form a band of believing Christians who are INFLUENCED BY (but not writing about) Christianity's teachings. I'm thinking more of bands like Skillet and POD than anything else.
Quote by slaptasticdave
I thought Fassa was an atheist

I did too, because of the creation/evolution thread.

I don't see why you couldn't put it there, if it's subtle like that, since, like everyone else said, most people probably didn't come for that. Personally, I don't agree with music in church (I have reasons behind that), but have nothing against people that do, because the Bible doesn't specifically say, no instruments. Sorry, I'm going off topic.

Go ahead and do it.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
You can give positive moral messages easily. Killswitch Engage's lyrics on the album Alive or Just Breathing are very positive without being overtly religious.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by guitarmaniac88
I did too, because of the creation/evolution thread.

I don't see why you couldn't put it there, if it's subtle like that, since, like everyone else said, most people probably didn't come for that. Personally, I don't agree with music in church (I have reasons behind that), but have nothing against people that do, because the Bible doesn't specifically say, no instruments. Sorry, I'm going off topic.

Go ahead and do it.

Fassa make thread about stuff then change mind lol
is Fassa the same perspon who wants to learn like 5 diff languages?

Edit: Im a idiot, many bands are christian but play in front of lots of people. The thousands of christian metalcore bands show you this.
Last edited by mikey son at Feb 4, 2009,
well then I say why not, as long as your not singing lyrics that obviously say things about your religion, but shows the positive every day things you learn there, then why not.
I say go for it. Just as long as you make sure you know who the audience is and how they'll react. eg. don't play a soft christian song in a dark goth-punk place.
I dont know if you have ever heard of Third Day or not but I dig them. I think they do have some not so subtle christian themed tunes and then some that arent. I think if your going to be in a club or pub where people are drinking they really wont be listening anyway. But Id still keep the religiousness down. Dont not play it but dont be so loud about it. That could get you booed in a second. I love christian music. Nothing better. But Im not going to the Rock Palast and jam some Hillsong when they want some Ozzy or Slayer.

None of the "Let me tell you about God while Im here." or "Let me testify" or any of that other christian stuff.

I am a CHRISTIAN. I love christian music, but I still play it and I still get off on it.
Just make sure you market yourself as a Christian band (assuming you're Christian). It's not a good idea to "surprise" your audience and your venues with worship music if they aren't expecting it.

edit:
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
It's not necessarily 'religious practice' to do what I'm planning to do though- what I want to do is form a band of believing Christians who are INFLUENCED BY (but not writing about) Christianity's teachings. I'm thinking more of bands like Skillet and POD than anything else.

Well, your thread title is a little misleading then...
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by The Fret-Dancer
You're allowed to worship our Saviour, no matter where you are.

Quote by bastratard
The Fret-Dancer - Said it best!

Technically yes, but that isn't really what the point of this thread is. While you are "allowed" you worship Jesus, God, Vishnu, Allah, The Flying Spaghetti Monster in most places you chose, many people will not like you for it; as most people do not want your religious views shoved down their neck. When people do that to me I have a strong desire to do the same... and I'm not exactly religious.

Back on the original point, there is nothing really wrong with your idea, I still like POD, Skillet and Flyleaf for musical content and couldn't of told they were Christian until I read about it and while the idea originally put me off, I still really like the above mentioned bands. So as been said before in this thread, it's fine along as the music isn't too preachy, but you don't have to go the worship route to find uplifting songs.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Let me ask you a question before I answer yours. Why do you want to play worship music outside of church, i.e, in pubs etc?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Brilliant...
Page 1 of 2