I'm searching for some picks for my acoustic. I really like thick picks for my electric ,but I'm scared to use them on the acoustic. How thick should I get them for my acoustic. The electric uses 3mm stubbys.
i like to go a little slimmer on acoustic, i use big ones on my elec also

i have .73 dunlops for my acoustic, makes it sound pretty and not as sharp and like "in your face" as harder picks do, because it bends as it goes over the strings
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
It's all down to preference. Don't worry about 3mm on an acoustic, apart from the strings being thicker, strings in general can handle alot of abuse.

I switch between Jazz 3's and a 2mm Stubby on the electric, and on the acoustic I switch between a soft Tortex which is less than 1mm, a Jazz 3 and my fingertips/nails. Acoustics are quite loud as is, so a heavy pick would be unnecessary really.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
For most playing I use at least 1 mm; any thinner and it sounds too tinny. For just strumming, though, I prefer thin picks.
You can pretty much use whatever you like as long as you can handle it properly. The picks I use are either .73, 1.14, or 2mm.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I like the flexibility of the thinner gauges. I don't know, my guitars still sound pretty good with a .48 mm pick which is my favourite. It's a nylon fluorescent yellow Jim Dunlop. I also own a set of Folk Debut Awe-in-Ones and a red Tortex pick.
I wouldnt worry about pick thickness, ive heard of some people using 4-5 mm picks (god knows how) in some genres of music, such as gypsy jazz. Just be prepared to change your strings often.

My personal favourte is .73 mm nylon picks. But depending on what im playing will i go up to 1 mm plastic picks, or down to .40 mm nylon picks.
You have enemies? Good. That means
you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Badger Land at Feb 1, 2009,
holy crap just use whatever ones you like the feel and sound of the best. sometimes the questions on here boggle the freaking mind. /endrant
Last edited by Wiggly at Feb 1, 2009,
I used to use roughly 1mm (don't know the actual value) but after this thread prompted me to try different picks I've changed my mind and I'm now using a 0.60. I need to get to a shop and buy a handful of different sizes though, try and find what's best.
Quote by Wiggly
holy crap just use whatever ones you like the feel and sound of the best. sometimes the questions on here boggle the freaking mind. /endrant

Yes I know why would people be asking questions about guitar related subjects here
Quote by Musical Goblin
Yes I know why would people be asking questions about guitar related subjects here

Just because its guitar related doesn't mean its any less dumb. No matter what anyone here says on the subject, the fact is you should just try out different sizes and see what suits YOU best... not what suits everyone else best.
Last edited by Wiggly at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by Wiggly
Just because its guitar related doesn't mean its any less dumb. No matter what anyone here says on the subject, the fact is you should just try out different sizes and see what suits YOU best... not what suits everyone else best.

I never thought to try using different picks until I saw this thread, I just took what I had for granted. This thread has resulted in me using different picks which I like better. I'd say it's helped at least me and possibly others.
i usuallly use 1.0, 1.14 picks on my electric.....but for my acoustic ill use .88 or so...it sounds a lot better
CT Musicians

"Rebellion happens in the mind, you cant create it, you just are that way" - SLC Punk!
Quote by acidrainman64
i usuallly use 1.0, 1.14 picks on my electric.....but for my acoustic ill use .88 or so...it sounds a lot better

I actually like using the thickest pick possible that's still comfortable. I find the thicker picks give a meatier tone than the thin ones.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Badger Land
I wouldnt worry about pick thickness, ive heard of some people using 4-5 mm picks (god knows how) in some genres of music, such as gypsy jazz. Just be prepared to change your strings often.

My personal favourte is .73 mm nylon picks. But depending on what im playing will i go up to 1 mm plastic picks, or down to .40 mm nylon picks.

.73 nylons are my favorite too. Anything between .73 and 1mm for me on acoustic.

The problem with thicker strings is that they can kind of deaden the sound. I like the thinner picks just because the sound is better.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Yes I would say anything under .73 mm is to wimpy ( .73, .88, 1.0 ) are where you want to be. Lighter picks strum nice but just don't have the power and volume you can get with a heavy pick especially when you get into some solos. But for those starting out I would recommend .60 Picks. It's just what ever works best for you though try them all.
ROCK'N 6 STRINGS GRINDING PICKS INTO POWDER