Is there any sense in changing the pickups in a squier? Will changing pickups strings etc... on a squier be anywhere near the same thing as buying a new guitar?
what kind of squier is it?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
No, I think a Squier is a many piece agathis(?) body. It's not gonna sound that much better.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
New pup help, new guitar is better, new amp is MUCH better.
Which Squire is it? Also, what amp do you have?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by mmolteratx
No, I think a Squier is a many piece agathis(?) body. It's not gonna sound that much better.

Not all Squiers have agathis bodies, some have alder
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

I have a deville 4x10, the squier is one of the $150 guitars everyone begins on. I was planning on putting gold lace sensors in whatever guitar I get. So is it worth putting those in the squier or is it worth the extra money to put them in a american strat?
Well you are going to need to replace all hardware and electronics. The affinity series is made out of better wood, but has worse hardware while the standard has worse bod wood and better hardware. So yes it will be worth it to put new pups in it as long as you replace the hardware as well.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I'd just get a new guitar. I mean, yes, it would probably help some if it's one of the better Squiers, but the $120 you'd spend for pickups would be wasted when you get a better guitar.
not really, my squier is a beast of a guitar thanks to a pup and hardware swap
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

It's worth it. You can always put it back to stock and use the upgraded pups in a better guitar later. So it doesn't really cost you anything to do it, if you do it yourself. If the Squier plays well, then why not? The wood isn't going to make that big a difference.
i don't get what's wrong with modding the fheck out of a squier. they can play great with a good setup, and even with only a pickup swap, they can sound great too. go for the mods
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Since it's an Affinity, if it plays good, do it. It's made of alder, so swap out the pups, then the hardware, then maybe the pots, and you should have a beast of a guitar.

BUT, ONLY DO THIS IF IT PLAYS GOOD!!
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I say go play some other guitars that you could possibly get as your next guitar. If you think your squier feels as good or better then the ones your trying, them it is worth it. Don't worry about the tone when trying out these new guitars, in fact you don't even have to plug them in, just see how they feel.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Quote by spiff389
i don't get what's wrong with modding the fheck out of a squier. they can play great with a good setup, and even with only a pickup swap, they can sound great too. go for the mods
I agree somewhat. If it is your first time changing these things, its best to have a go on a guitar that isn't worth much, because if you wreck it in the process, its not a huge deal.
keep the squire if u suck, get a new guitar if u r serious.
Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Schecter C-1 Elite
Crate GFX65
Korg Toneworks AX1500G pedal board
Morley Wah pedal
^This

But seriously, if it plays well and since its made of alder, which isnt bad, just do a pup and hardware switch
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Guitarfetish.com

Spend 100-120 upgrading pickups and hardware
then get a good setup done. There you go, great sounding and playing squier
dont waste money upgrading a squeer. buy the new guitar, your amp is already pretty good.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Assuming nothing else is wrong with your squier aside from the electronics, a $250-$300 pre-wired pickguard swap could make your beginner guitar turn heads.

Well, could probably use to replace the nut/bridge/tuners too
Quote by Elvendar
Assuming nothing else is wrong with your squier aside from the electronics, a $250-$300 pre-wired pickguard swap could make your beginner guitar turn heads.

Well, could probably use to replace the nut/bridge/tuners too

Why bother putting a 300 wired pickguard, for that price you can get a much nicer guitar. wire your own, use guitar fetish for parts.
Quote by Castiel
Why bother putting a 300 wired pickguard, for that price you can get a much nicer guitar. wire your own, use guitar fetish for parts.

Rewired strats are sweet, and some people prefer to stick to their strat.
for $300 he would not be getting a better guitar than if hed modded this guitar. After replacing hardware and electronics my Squier is better than my friends MIM Strat. Also the bonus is he doesn't have to get used to a different guitar.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I say mod it. I might buy an Affinity Tele soon so I'll have another electric to play while I mod my Affinity Strat. After the Strat I'll mod the Tele.

Just do it. You know you want to.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray