If I were to purchase a Korg Microkorg synthesizer, would i get similar sounds to the Roland GR-20? I've been looking into purchasing a synth lately and would like to be able to use it in unison with my guitar. Can somebody tell me how i would go about doing that (if at all possible)? Would i be able to make backing tracks with the Korg and loop it? Would i be able to voice my guitar using the synth settings? Is there any way to hook it up so that i can switch from the synth speakers to my amp without wrecking anything?

A lot of questions, i know.
Thanks.
Free Mumia
The Alesis micron would work much better for your purposes. It has a much better phrase/loop feature, and it also can process your guitar imput signal. You can even use it as a talk box if you have a mic. However, it will probably take a some time for you to get used to using it.
Quote by Echoplex
The Alesis micron would work much better for your purposes. It has a much better phrase/loop feature, and it also can process your guitar imput signal. You can even use it as a talk box if you have a mic. However, it will probably take a some time for you to get used to using it.

Thanks for the advice. Would the synth actually alter the sound of my guitar though similar to the Roland GR? Would i be able to hook it up so that i can bypass the synth and play directly through my amp? Would this wreck my amp if it were hooked up to it?
Free Mumia
Quote by guerilla radio
Thanks for the advice. Would the synth actually alter the sound of my guitar though similar to the Roland GR? Would i be able to hook it up so that i can bypass the synth and play directly through my amp? Would this wreck my amp if it were hooked up to it?

1. No, the Roland GR system uses a special pickup to control synthesizer sounds. Only that system will give you true synth sounds with a guitar,

2. Yes, it is possible to bypass the synth's modulation effects, but you would have to create a seperate "patch" for modulation and clean tones.

3. No, it would not wreck your amp.

Sorry if that isn't clear, ask me if there is anything else you need to know or would like me to clarify.
Quote by Echoplex
1. No, the Roland GR system uses a special pickup to control synthesizer sounds. Only that system will give you true synth sounds with a guitar,

2. Yes, it is possible to bypass the synth's modulation effects, but you would have to create a seperate "patch" for modulation and clean tones.

3. No, it would not wreck your amp.

Sorry if that isn't clear, ask me if there is anything else you need to know or would like me to clarify.

Thanks for your help Echoplex. Basically what i am getting at is that i want to buy a synth so that i can hook my guitar up to it and maybe loop a backing track on it to play along with. From what your saying it seems like this is possible. However i still have a question about the amp part (not clear on it). If i ran my guitar through the synth, could i play both (synth as well) through my guitar amp? Because i know they make amps specially for keyboards/synths. I just dont want to buy an expensive amp and then ruin it.
Free Mumia
I have my Micron runing into the Aux. in of my guitar amp, and i can use the "setup" feature to create and loop a backing track and play along on either the synth or the guitar. If i want to use the synth for modulating my guitar sound, i just pluge my guitar into the synth's input without changing anything else.
Quote by Echoplex
I have my Micron runing into the Aux. in of my guitar amp, and i can use the "setup" feature to create and loop a backing track and play along on either the synth or the guitar. If i want to use the synth for modulating my guitar sound, i just pluge my guitar into the synth's input without changing anything else.

Sounds perfect. Except im looking at getting a Fender tube amp when that time rolls around. Not sure if they have the options to hook it up.
Free Mumia
Quote by guerilla radio
Sounds perfect. Except im looking at getting a Fender tube amp when that time rolls around. Not sure if they have the options to hook it up.

Oh, in that case, use whatever amp you have now as a keyboard amp. If there is an auxilary-in, use that because it won't color your synth tone. If not, you can just use the regular input; you may even like putting external distortion on your synth sounds.