Hey guys,
I wasnt sure where exactly to put this so i thought I'd throw it here

Ok, I just bought a 2005 Gibson Sg Special in the cherry finish (NOT the faded models)
And its amazing! except one thing, I took the strings off because the neck was bowing inwards (toward the front of the guitar) It was really really bad but it was the first issue i noticed.
My question is, how much does a typical guitar setup cost at guitar center?
The nearest one to me is about an hour away so I'd rather know now before I get there and show up short handed.

All I really need done is the truss rod needs adjusting and it needs to be intonated

Thanks guys!

Oh yes! Ill post pics soon
it varies from place to place but usually around the $40 area.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Got mine set up for $45. Really great tech, used to work for schecter. Awesome guy.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
$20 to 40 for a hardtail. $30-80 for a floyd rose.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
My local shop is great, they charged me $30 to set up my floyd. I don't know what they charge for a hard tail. They do a kick ass setup too.
you could give the place you plan on going a call and ask them
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
I get mine setup by one of SRVs old guitar techs for $65 so I'm guessing yours would be cheaper.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yep anywhere between 25-40 or 40-80 for a Floyd Rose equipped guitar. I don't know if I'd trust Guitar center though...any other shops near by?
Quote by SayAnything
Yep anywhere between 25-40 or 40-80 for a Floyd Rose equipped guitar. I don't know if I'd trust Guitar center though...any other shops near by?

Oh ****, I actually read his post this time. DO NOT go to GC to get work done. They are terrible! I've seen the guys at mine trying to string stuff up and just fail.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The best place to have that stuff done is the small music shops, The ones with that one hippie in the back doing all the repairs and setups . they tend to beat out the bigger stores prices and do a quality job, if for any reason your unhappy they seem to get it worked out for ya with a smile unlike GC where they treat everyone like idiots If jeff loomis walked into GC they would treat him like an idiot also. at least here in the Seattle area its like that.
I'd have to agree with DimeLvR. GC would be a bad choice for any repairs. Unless some famous guitar tech worked there, I wouldn't trust them with even my crappiest guitar. Small shops are where it's at. The poster above pretty much spelled it out.
ok sweet
so im gonna check out some smaller shops
its about a 45 minute drive however
but i took the strings off, and the G string tuning machine broke off.
Like the back cover and the actual peg fell out

Would superglue or crazy glue fix this?

EDIT: If i use superglue to glue it back together, if it ever broke off again what would happen to the string?
Last edited by xbouncer927 at Feb 1, 2009,
It cost me 10 €, really cheap I know and the guy is a good guitar tech too.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by xbouncer927
ok sweet
so im gonna check out some smaller shops
its about a 45 minute drive however
but i took the strings off, and the G string tuning machine broke off.
Like the back cover and the actual peg fell out

Would superglue or crazy glue fix this?

EDIT: If i use superglue to glue it back together, if it ever broke off again what would happen to the string?

dude, you dont take all the strings off, unless you have new strings to put on.
no you probably can't glue a tuner back together unless it's something cosmetic, you're fixing.

and like said, GC is hit or miss, depending on who takes the guitar from you that day.

dont leave the guitar unstrung. get it setup or click the green link in my sig. i'll talk you thru it, but dont expect me to be able to fix a broken tuner.

good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
dude, you dont take all the strings off, unless you have new strings to put on.
no you probably can't glue a tuner back together unless it's something cosmetic, you're fixing.

and like said, GC is hit or miss, depending on who takes the guitar from you that day.

dont leave the guitar unstrung. get it setup or click the green link in my sig. i'll talk you thru it, but dont expect me to be able to fix a broken tuner.

good luck

Does taking the strings off affect the guitar?

EDIT: I have new strings to put on it, but I dont see the use in stringin her up with only 5 tuning pegs.
Last edited by xbouncer927 at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by xbouncer927

EDIT: I have new strings to put on it, but I dont see the use in stringin her up with only 5 tuning pegs.

Yes it will warp the neck and screw it up.

I suggest you bring it into a professional so they can put on a new tuner peg and set it up for you, probably cost about 50$.
My local tech charges $55 plus strings to set up any guitar he does great work hes been doing it for over 20 years too.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Two things.

1: Mine cost about 35 quid for restring, action setup, and intonation.

2: Learn to do it yourself. Trust me, you'll save money, and learn good guitar maintenance skills.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by xbouncer927

leaving tension off the neck allows the neck to relax.

it'll straighten or back bow and require additional setup to get it back to where it was.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
leaving tension off the neck allows the neck to relax.

it'll straighten or back bow and require additional setup to get it back to where it was.

dang, no matter what im screwed.
I could understand having this problem with my cheap fender tele (which i dont have this problem) but not with a GIBSON SG!
Like the other posters say find a guitar shop with a good reputation and let them sort it out for you. It'll be worth as then you guitar will play well and you can enjoy playing it again.