I was just wondering, has anybody assembled their own guitar using a Saga Electric Guitar Kit? How good is the quality of the guitars?
i was wondering the same thing.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
well, i can attest that most of the hardware is pretty crap overall. i recently replaced my tuners with some wilkinsons.

but here's an old picture of my saga kit Strat back when i was trying to make it look nice.

EDIT - I should mention that me and my dad (who helped me out with painting) forgot to read up and do a proper finish+clear coat procedure, so the paint chipped off in a few places. now it just looks kind of vintage. I should note that for the crappy electronics they put in these guitars, my strat actually sounds pretty good.
Last edited by Mack56 at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by Mack56
well, i can attest that most of the hardware is pretty crap overall. i recently replaced my tuners with some wilkinsons.

E I should note that for the crappy electronics they put in these guitars, my strat actually sounds pretty good.

so saga makes crappy guitars but yours has good hardware? how many other sagas do you have? because you have to have experience with them to say they are ****ty, if you have one guitar from them and you think they suck but you like the hardware, you shouldn't be telling people they're ****ty.
and people, go search youtube for the sound, obviously the quality won't necessarily be awesome, but atleast you can hear.
Quote by UnDistortion
so saga makes crappy guitars but yours has good hardware? how many other sagas do you have? because you have to have experience with them to say they are ****ty, if you have one guitar from them and you think they suck but you like the hardware, you shouldn't be telling people they're ****ty.

he said the hardware is crap (which is a general complaint about sagas). that is all. your little rant was completely unnecessary.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by UnDistortion

..well welly, I've tacked together two different saga kits, and both have had fairly weak hardware. Worse than that, the fit of the neck isn't exteremely great and took some extra sanding and shaping on my part.

I didn't even try using the stock electronics on the p-bass I put together, I did use the electronics on the strat and they sound, meh, about what you'd expect from a real low end guitar.

The real fun of a saga kit IMO is getting a body and neck to do crazy finishing jobs on for around $100.
I'd get a Carvin Bolt kit instead. All USA made.

Wait a minute, I did!

I ordered some upgrades with it and later installed a custom made PG with HSH config and a super switch. The pups are all Carvin and sweet at that.

EDIT: that strat looks good mate.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Last edited by OldRocker at Feb 18, 2009,
i wasn't ranting, i too would buy a carvin or a byoguitars.com, but it really bothers me when people say things like that without any experience, if he had said, "i have heard a lot of cases where people think the pups are low end, and my saga strat was pretty ****ty too" then i wouldn't have minded in the least, so not a rant so much as a suggestion on correcting his statement, and plus sagas aren't intended for proffesional use, i think at theit price we could all have guessed that?
....I actually think mine sounds pretty good, even with the "low end" pickups. Could it sound better? hell yeah

Could it sound a lot worse? Hell yeah.

I said the hardware is crappy, and you know what? It is. no one expects amazing hardware on a $100 kit guitar. I didn't complain about anything else, because honestly everything else doesn't matter as much or i was fine with it. I'm fine with the body and the neck, the pickups are bearable, the electronics aren't as sturdy as i'd like, but that's fixable.
Quote by Mack56
....I actually think mine sounds pretty good, even with the "low end" pickups. Could it sound better? hell yeah

Could it sound a lot worse? Hell yeah.

I said the hardware is crappy, and you know what? It is. no one expects amazing hardware on a $100 kit guitar. I didn't complain about anything else, because honestly everything else doesn't matter as much or i was fine with it. I'm fine with the body and the neck, the pickups are bearable, the electronics aren't as sturdy as i'd like, but that's fixable.

thanks for not turning this into an argument, i feel my post sounded a little more malicious than it did informal, and i am looking to buying a kit, and even though i am probably not buying a saga, i didn't want all of them to think saga was really, really horrible, because honestly, fender bullet squier, or make it yourself saga kit

i would go saga for the learning experience, and well, bullet squier's are probably a lot worse, i had a bullet, and i can say i hated it... A lot,

and how are the lps from saga? again, thinking of purchasing a byoguitar kit, but no one seems to go for lps, but all strats?

and on another similar note, does any one know where i can get just necks, like for a firebird? because warmoth supplies firebird bodies, but not necks, the hell? anyways, i want to build a body before i even try a neck, so any help or links would be useful.
nothing wrong with them for learning except for the sanding sealer they use on them.

Carvin kits are 5x the price.

the LPs and PRS clones are better made. Check out Universaljems.com for saga kits. The owner is cool and checks them out for faults, replaces some parts and offers upgrades.

Also check gutiarfetish.com for upgrade parts. $100 in hardware/pickups make a saga a truly awesome guitar.
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
sick, thanks a lot!

i am thinking if i buy a build it yourself kit, i am gonna get some guitarfetish pups, i want humbucker sized, and i am thinking

http://store.guitarfetish.com/veviexhonibr.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsporacrpok1.html

for rock/metal, but which pickup would you recommend for fat, bassy sounding cleans/low distortion? i want a really bassy sound, i do not at all want something that sounds thin, so i was wondering if anyone could help me out, i would really appreciate it because this is a huge project, and i am poor, so please help :P
Last edited by UnDistortion at Feb 18, 2009,