I love my x100b but it doesn't have the distortion for metal. I have thought about getting a boss os-2 because it has OD and distortion. So my questions are; do I even need an OD? Should I buy OD and distortion pedals seperately? what would you recommend (~100USD)? ability to get an EVH sound would would be nice as well.
my gear:
Epiphone LP standard
roland microcube
get a Line 6 Uber Metal distortion pedal, itll solve ur problems
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
For metal an OD probably isn't what you are looking for. I suggest a metal muff or if you are on a budget, the Boss metalzone. If your really limited, the OS-2 is a decent deal, not to mention the megadistortion, but that tends to be a tad noisy.
Try the metalzone by boss. Not only is it a good metal pedal, but it cuts out all of that fuzz that gives a ****ty tone to your setup.
Well it depends if you are really looking for a metal sound or an EVH sound. Although EVH is considered a metal guitarist, I find his style and sound more rock/blue'ish. I use a Line 6 Uber Metal distortion pedal and I love it. Tones of options for tones. I've also used some Digitech and Boss metal-oriented pedals and liked them, but found that they didn't have as much as I wanted. I think that you would be able to get any tone out of the Uber Metal pedal if you tweaked it enough. But if you have the option, go to a local guitar store and just try out a bunch of pedals if you aren't sure. As for the OS-2, I don't think that will cover your distortion needs.

I have a Boss Super Overdrive pedal, and although I don't use it as much, it does give me that extra 'boost' for solo's and stuff like that. It would help you to get to that EVH tone.

With all that in mind, this is my general suggestion: Get a distortion pedal, OD pedal, and also an equalizer. Although equalizers aren't cheap, some multi-effect pedals have equalizers (I have a Digitech RP70 that has one and the RP70 is not expensive) and it makes a whole world of difference in your sound. If you have your distortion cranked up and OD screaming, when its run through an equalizer and noise gate, it keeps your heavy disortion but makes it less muddy.

Thats what I've found out on my own. Could be different for you. Its all in the tweaking and the research. I find that although you get all the suggestions in the world, only you can find the right stuff for the tone you want.
Quote by skateblockade
Try the metalzone by boss. Not only is it a good metal pedal, but it cuts out all of that fuzz that gives a ****ty tone to your setup.

Don't do this!!
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I would get the Metal Muff
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

metal muff is the best metal pedal. line 6 and metalzone/core are too fuzzy and digital. the BBE super distortion is good, but something just doesnt cut it.

tl;dr (even if it doesnt apply): get a METAL MUFF w/ top boost. (the top boost is kinda useless, but you can use it as an improvised boost for solos, but it's not as pleasing sounding as an overdrive)
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by skateblockade
Try the metalzone by boss it increase all of that fuzz that gives a ****ty tone to your setup.

Fixed

How can you not get a good evh tone out of your carvin x100? i thought that was the amp a lot of hair metal guitarists used in the 80's. I can get a great van halen tone out of my 18 watt marshall nonmaster volume clone with a slight boost from my rat

but if you must, get a ProCo vintage rat (kinda expensive but worth it) they will give you instant 80's metal tone (hair to 80's thrash to 80's power)
+1 for the metal muff.

Great metal distortion, more akin to the 80's era of metal.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Quote by Dance_of_Death
Fixed

How can you not get a good evh tone out of your carvin x100? i thought that was the amp a lot of hair metal guitarists used in the 80's. I can get a great van halen tone out of my 18 watt marshall nonmaster volume clone with a slight boost from my rat

but if you must, get a ProCo vintage rat (kinda expensive but worth it) they will give you instant 80's metal tone (hair to 80's thrash to 80's power)

I can get a pretty good sound for EVH but I think an OD would make it perfect. For now though I'll look into a metal muff.

Thanks for your help everyone
my gear:
Epiphone LP standard
roland microcube
honestly if you want just a boost, a metal muff isn't really what you want
If you want to get it perfect, get what eddie used, an mxr 5 band EQ, you could use it as a boost and boost your mids

also, new pickups could be needed you say you're close so that could be the deciding factor

a good set of paf alinco 2's will get you close to brown sound
Last edited by Dance_of_Death at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by Dance_of_Death
honestly if you want just a boost, a metal muff isn't really what you want
If you want to get it perfect, get what eddie used, an mxr 5 band EQ, you could use it as a boost and boost your mids

also, new pickups could be needed you say you're close so that could be the deciding factor

a good set of paf alinco 2's will get you close to brown sound

at the moment I am looking for more of a crunchy high gain type sound, which I think the metal muff will cover. Thanks for the suggestions, when I get around to it I may look at some new pickups for EVH .
my gear:
Epiphone LP standard
roland microcube
Quote by sexwithdolphins
i dont get all the metalzone hate.... i get a pretty good thrash tone out of it.

It's cause it sounds thin and brittle, it's got a terrible bypass tone, it's not versatile, it can't cut through a mix and it's a BOSS.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I find that I can get very diverse tones by using an OD pedal and a distortion pedal combined, as I'm sure many others do. That way, even if you don't want to play just metal, you have an exceptionally varied range of sounds and tones, and can pull off that crazy level of distortion quite well. However, I'm not a metal guitarist at all, so I don't know exactly the tone you guys look for, but it sure is a hell of a lot of distortion :P
Quote by OneTimer1127
I find that I can get very diverse tones by using an OD pedal and a distortion pedal combined, as I'm sure many others do. That way, even if you don't want to play just metal, you have an exceptionally varied range of sounds and tones, and can pull off that crazy level of distortion quite well. However, I'm not a metal guitarist at all, so I don't know exactly the tone you guys look for, but it sure is a hell of a lot of distortion :P

That's where my tone is coming from right now. The DeVille's gain channel sucks so I've got a Tube Driver, Zendrive 2, Mosferatu and TS808 all running in different combinations to get a huge variety of sounds. And two OD/Distortion pedals running together literally gives you nearly endless sustain, even at low volumes. Your tone starts to lose dynamics though once you stack to many together/turn the gain up too much though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I have heard a lot of good things about the Metal Muff, many people have said it is the best metal pedal out there. Many metal guitarists I know on Ultimate Guitar use it.