Alright, so heres the deal. I own a Jackson RR3 Randy Rhoads Pro, really sick guitar with a nice trans-black finish. Only problem with it is that sometimes, it just doesn't want to tune. I just put new strings on a couple weeks ago (Earnie Ball: Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom) and tuned it to C-standard for the hell of it (just to see what its like). After a week, I decided I would tune it back up (I want it to be drop-D tuning). I've been battling with it ever since. I tune the lower 3 strings, and the top 3 are out of tune. So I tune the top 3, and the bottom 3 are out of tune. It goes on and on until my tremelo base is at like a 30 degree angle from the body of the guitar (which doesn't look healthy and the strings feel too tight).

What the hell do I need to do so I can get this in drop-D tuning again? I'm going nuts trying various strategies to get this thing tuned. I've only had this problem once or twice before, and that was back years ago when I first got it. Anybody know what I need to do?

(and I swear to what ever god you believe it, if you tell me to buy a different guitar, strings, or other sort of equipment, I will hunt you down and eat your first born. I want serious answers, not some jackass giving me his two cents.)

As you can tell, this problem is starting to aggrivate me.
Have you tried adjusting the springs?

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
adjust the springs in the back or add more springs....thats what i had to do to mine...
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
It probably needs a setup. The C standard puts less tension than standard tuning or drop D, so it's very possible that your neck and bridge are out of whack.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Make sure that you are stretching your strings, if that does not work, like the other guy said, adjust your springs.
yeah that happened to my schecter syn custom you have to adjust the spring in the back
Frontbassman sucks in the nicest way possible

Kevin and Kelsey 12-03-2007

you can't just be changing tunings on a floyd rose like on a hardtail. you must adjust springs and sometimes intonation.

also, if the string gauge you are using is diferent from the ones stock, check your intonation.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
In response to RockInPeaceDime: it just kind-of worked out the day after I guess. My memory is shot to hell so I can't remember.

In response to many of you: How do I adjust the springs? I'm not much of a guitar tech guy, I just play them, so I have no clue how to go about adjusting the springs (if I tried right now, I'd probably destroy my guitar).
Quote by ldnovelo
you can't just be changing tunings on a floyd rose like on a hardtail. you must adjust springs and sometimes intonation.

also, if the string gauge you are using is diferent from the ones stock, check your intonation.

Uhh, intonation? I know I'm probably a bad guitarist for not knowing what that means... but what does that mean? lol

I've been playing for 5 or 6 years and I dont ever remember hearing that word before.
Just have a (good) guitar tech set up your guitar and watch what he does. That's how I learned how to tune/adjust action/etc on a FR.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by xMetalGodx
Uhh, intonation? I know I'm probably a bad guitarist for not knowing what that means... but what does that mean? lol

I've been playing for 5 or 6 years and I dont ever remember hearing that word before.

it means that as you play higher on the neck, the notes are out of tune but the open strings are correctly tuned. you need the 12th fret harmonic to match the 12th fret note exactly
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by xMetalGodx
In response to RockInPeaceDime: it just kind-of worked out the day after I guess. My memory is shot to hell so I can't remember.

In response to many of you: How do I adjust the springs? I'm not much of a guitar tech guy, I just play them, so I have no clue how to go about adjusting the springs (if I tried right now, I'd probably destroy my guitar).

Its really easy, to adjust the springs just take the plastic plate off the back of the guitar and there will be a claw looking things with springs on it the go to the bridge. You just tighten those screw a little, tune the guitar and see if the floyd rose is level with the body. If you tighten the screws all the way and your bridge still isn't level you will have to add another spring or two. Also, there is a floyd rose set up guide stickied somewhere that probably explains this a lot better than i did, so you should probably look that up.

EDIT: this explains it a lot better than i did
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/set_up_for_floyd_rose.html
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
Last edited by zakky_s at Feb 1, 2009,
Quote by aznrockerdude
Just have a (good) guitar tech set up your guitar and watch what he does. That's how I learned how to tune/adjust action/etc on a FR.

Problem with that. I dont think there are any good guitar techs around here and there isn't a Guitar Center anywhere near here. Any way I could find out without driving for hours to a Guitar Center? lol
Quote by xMetalGodx
Problem with that. I dont think there are any good guitar techs around here and there isn't a Guitar Center anywhere near here. Any way I could find out without driving for hours to a Guitar Center? lol

I thought New York had plenty of Guitar Centers and Sam Ashes?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Yeah but the nearest Guitar Center is probably like 45 min to an hour away (I dont even know where any of the Sam Ashes are in NY, I've only heard about them, never been to one). Although I want to fix this problem, I dont feel like spending money and time going that far away to fix a problem that I could possibly do myself. If there was one like 15 min away, I'd so go right now and do it (if it wasn't 1 in the morning), but thats not the case.
Another tip for general ease of tuning whether its a FloydRose or not:

Tune up to at least Standard E first. Make it so the strings are used to high tension and have no problem adjusting to and from that tension when switching tunings. I use string-thru-body and stop-bar type guitars for ease of tuning changes, but it helps on any guitar. If I want to get in tune quick, there's nothing that can screw me up worse than either a string breaking going from low to high, or a string sounding warped from not being stretched enough initially.

Tune your guitar to at least Standard E or Open G if possible, stretch the strings after first putting them on, give them a few gentle, but firm pulls, and let the guitar sit for an hour or two at the high tension, then after that go ahead and drop it down the tuning it's going to stay in for a while. With a Floyd Rose, I'd stick with Standard E or Drop D unless I knew I was going to be playing an entire set of songs in another tuning. Because of the extra tuning adjustment and re-stringing baggage that comes with a FloydRose, I only drop-tune them when I know it's worth the effort.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Last edited by HardAttack at Feb 1, 2009,